Advice about cause of dying leaves

Leaf Lung

Soil grow

Six strains (DNA RP Kosher Kush, DNA RP Skywalker Kush, Barneys farm Vanilla Kush, Barneys farm Liberty Haze, Canuk seeds Northern Lights, Canuk seeds Jack Herer) one plant each.

Started in 1 gallon smart pots (1 tbsp happy frog fruit & flower mixed into roots organics 707 soil), moved into 3 gallon pots where I added 2 tbsp fruit & flower per each gallon to the other 2 gallons of soil in those pots, so each pot now has 5 tbsp of the fertilizer mixed into the 3 gallons of soil.

Vegging in a 2x2.5x5'11" gorilla tent under a platinumLED p150.

Seeds were germinated april 2, first potted on april 5, then repotted to 3 gallon on May 2.

Problem: Bottom leaves on all plants are showing discoloring, some at more advanced stages than others. The worst right now are vanilla kush and skywalker kush. They have leaves that are crinkling up and drying out. Most other plants are just starting to show spots on the lower leaves.

Will provide pics, thanks for any help

What is on top of your soil? It doesn't look like Roots 707 at all.
Do you have any overall pictures of the affected plants to get a better look at them?
I always try for high porosity soil mixes, but 707 is high water retention, I believe. Are you getting wet/dry cycles?

What is on top of your soil?

Back when they were in 1 gallon pots I had some fungus gnats in the tent so I got Growstone Gnat & Fungus Control to put on top of the soil. It worked great so I figured I would put it on the 3 and eventually 5 gal pots as a preventative measure.

As far as wet/dry cycles, not really. I was watering the 1 gallon pots daily with bottled spring water, now I've switched to tap water with an aquarium bubbler going in it. More water in each pot every watering but now every other day. Should I start spacing waterings out more?

I'm sort of shocked - they don't appear over watered. :thumb:
I firmly believe frequent watering is not good for cannabis. Thorough drenching followed by letting them dry out is the way I do it. I typically water a plant once every two weeks when small and the most I've ever watered a plant (over 8' tall) is every four days.
Not sure what is getting your lower leaves, but I would recommend reading up on watering techniques = bigger healthier roots > bigger better buds.

There were a few things I was suspecting it could be. The most common deficiency in veg is N and it shows through yellowing lower leaves first. The NPK ratio of my fruit & flower fertilizer is 5-8-4. Is that not enough N for vegetative growth? They make a Tomato & Vegetable fertilizer that is 7-4-5. I could get that and use it as a top dressing for more N if that is the case. I don't have a ph meter yet either so they may be experiencing nute lock from that being unbalanced. Or could it be there were too much minerals in the bottled water?

Bottled water is fine. Heck - I use plain old tap water.
None of your leaf pictures look like 'N' deficiency to me. If anything, I'd lean toward 'P' and/or 'K' from the looks of them. Of course, calcium and magnesium are common problems too.
From what I could see in the pictures of the whole plants, they are doing quite well so I would NOT go overboard with any change. It could be as simple as those leaves got too wet too long or sat on the top of the soil.
7-4-5 sounds like a better match for cannabis but, again I'm not feeling it is a lack of 'N'.

From what I could see in the pictures of the whole plants, they are doing quite well so I would NOT go overboard with any change. It could be as simple as those leaves got too wet too long or sat on the top of the soil.

Alright, I'm gonna start spacing my waterings out more like you recommended and test for ph before I do. If the yellowing still spreads after that I guess I'll get that 7-4-5 fert and top dress the soil with it.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom