Leeds Grandad Breaks Drug Law To Tackle Multiple Sclerosis

Herb Fellow

This man is so ill he spends days in agony and can barely walk. But under a recent Government decision he could be jailed for FIVE YEARS for using the only drug that eases his pain. The Leeds grandfather-of-eight, who has Multiple Sclerosis, takes small amounts of cannabis to treat his symptoms. But under current law, he makes himself a criminal every time he buys and uses his "medication".

On top of that, he could face a heavy prison sentence when parliament confirms the Government's move to return cannabis to class 'B'. That five-year sentence, for possession, is the same as the mandatory jail term for illegally possessing a firearm, and the proposed maximum for killing someone by driving carelessly.

John, not his real name, was, until relatively recently, a successful businessman. But now his MS symptoms are so severe he is effectively housebound.

Painkillers

Using a frame, it takes him several minutes to walk from his chair to his front door. He is in regular contact with the NHS, and has been treated with steroids and strong painkillers.

He is soon to speak to his doctor about a treatment called low dose naltrexone, which has been praised by some MS patients. But the 57-year-old added: "The steroids were good at first but they quickly wore off, and the painkillers don't scratch the surface.

Cannabis is the only thing that works, but under the law there are lots of people with MS who are forced to turn themselves into criminals." John buys a £20 bag of skunk cannabis once every four to six weeks. He made contact with a dealer in his local pub, and makes a phone call to arrange the sale.

A committed non smoker, John has only ever puffed a joint once.
He explained: "That was when I was introduced to it. A lad who knew I had MS gave me a spliff. It was OK, but later on I tried eating the weed on some cheese on toast. It worked a treat."

When John is in pain, he said it feels like someone is crushing his stomach area, with all their weight, for days on end. Alongside the pain comes depression and extreme mood swings. But he said one course of cannabis and cheese on toast keeps the symptoms at bay for several days. "It is heaven," he said. "What this Government has done really frustrates me. It is all about politics and trying to keep certain voters happy. I'm not saying let's have a free-for-all on drugs, but cannabis could be regulated.

Prosecution

"That would help me and thousands of others like me."

A Home Office spokeswoman said: "We have every sympathy for those with debilitating illnesses who cannot satisfactorily alleviate their symptoms through existing medication. "However, the unauthorised possession of cannabis, for whatever purpose, is a criminal offence and any persons found in possession are liable to prosecution." The spokeswoman said the Government has "no intention" of legalising cannabis use for medicinal purposes.

But she said Parliament would be consulted on changing the law to enable the prescription of cannabis-based pain-relieving medicine. Approval would be sought from the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency before any parliamentary vote, the spokeswoman said. She added: "Imports of the cannabis-based medicine Sativex from Canada will be allowed under Home Office licence. "It can therefore be prescribed to individual patients under their clinicians' personal responsibility. This licensing is under way."

FACTFILE
Cannabis

The use of cannabis is believed to stretch back 4,000 years;
It has been used as a medicine in places such as India, China and the Middle East to treat conditions such as malaria, constipation and rheumatism;
Queen Victoria used it to ease period pains;
Around that time, cannabis could be bought freely in American shops;
It was made illegal in the UK in 1928;
There are said to be more than 2 million regular UK users.

Source: Yorkshire Evening Post: News, Sport, Jobs, Property, Cars, Entertainments & More
Copyright: 2008, The Yorkshire Evening Post
Website: Leeds grandad breaks drug law to tackle multiple sclerosis - Yorkshire Evening Post

I know how you feel, also diagnoised with MS for 5 1/2 yrs. I've never smoked before until one of my friends told me that mariquana would ease my pain. I have 2 kids and 3 step children and it's not easy keeping up with them when i'm in so much pain. I finally won my disability case, but my doctors keep trying to use me as a lab rat with diffrent painrelievers that don't work. I've tried 10 painrelievers so far, but no more i'm tired of them trying to tell me how i should feel when they have no idea how hard it is, but they can sit there and act like they are right on everything. I'm not sure if i can get it medically without getting in trouble with SSI. I just know my kids meen the world to me and i will do whatever to help maintain my pain just to be able to enjoy my time with them.
It can be really depressing being 30 yrs.old and never be able to work again.

Raising children is an honorable profession. It is a shame that society doesn't recognize it as so.

Back
Top Bottom