Leo's & Guerilla Growing

RangerDanger

Anyone who cruises the grow forums knows I LOVE growing pot outside.
Growing on gov't land is low-risk. If the cops find it, all they'll go is rip it up, take it and leave. They don't stake out small grows.
I know this because I worked for the Forest Service for over 20 years (unpaid volunteer).
The Forest Service Leo's only staked out 3 grows in the years I worked there (may have been a few others I wasn't privvy to) were the ones that were booby-trapped.
I was involved in one of those.
I was in a backpack campground in my job as a campground host (glorified trash collector) when a guy ran in frantic.
Him and his wife an 10-year old daughter were hiking. The girl needed to pee and she saw a tiny trail leading into the bushes so she followed it. And got a scalp-full of fishing hooks strung on a line (if she'd been 6" taller they would have gotten her eyes) accross that tiny trail that led to a garden.
The mom had stayed behind to keep her daughter from trying to rip the hooks out.
The campground was deep in a canyon and I couldn't get out on my c.b. or cell. So I drove the father 6 miles to the nearest land-line, I called dispatch and paramedics were sent out. The girl had her head shaved and had to undergo 2 surgeries.
Although I wasn't with leo's I was aked to report any suspicious characters when I was hosting. I'm very good at it cause I'm one. I had no problem with helping to bust that grower.
They had a team of 2 officers near the grow, and had set up several camcorders. They caught him mid-week (when I wasn't there) and he faced charges way more serious than cultivation. I think he was sentenced to 2 years (not long enough, imo considering the damage he caused).

Booby traps are self-defeating. Let's say you don't have any and a ripper finds your garden. You lose your weed, too bad.
Let's say on the other hand you have a trap, like fish hooks hung at eye level.
And let's say it's effective--it takes someones eyes out.
You'd better believe that person, when asked at the hospital as to the circumstances, would have no trouble telling the authorities the location.
The grower would lose his plants AND freedom for years.
Not to mention that anyone who's out in the woods is in danger. It doesn't have to be a potential ripper. It could be an innocent hiker, or a little girl looking for a place to pee.
A lot of my friends also hike, and I'd say about a total of a dozen times we've stumbled upon guerilla grows (usually looking for someplace to grow the next year).
The grows ranged from a few plants on up. My friend Steve-O came across a garden that was several acres in size with what he estimated as over 100 plants.
At the first sign of seeing a garden, we immediently reverse course and make a wide detour around that area. We know that sometimes these area's are boobytrapped, or worse yet have armed guards.
We aren't into taking stuff that doesn't belong to us, so we'd find another way to get to where we're going.
But having an unbooby-trapped garden is extremely low-risk. They have to catch you actually watering the plants, and they simply don't have the manpower to stake out small gardens. Keep your plant #'s down to 25 or less, you'll have no problem with getting busted for cultivation.

Add: I remember 1 other instance where fed leo's staked out a grow. A fisherman noticed a stretch of a stream he'sd fished before devoid of life, and a stream-fed pond covered with a mat of algae. He reported it and a federal biologist was sent in. That's when they found a grow upstream. The idiot growers had doused their plants with chem fertilizers and toxic insecticides, and the run-off killed just about everything in the stream (except algae) for about 1/2 mile and reduced levels of life for miles beyond that, and that stream eventually fed into a reseviour.
Fed. leo's staked out the area and busted the growers. They also faced charges more serious than cultivation.

Nice story. Looking forward to hearing more. Booby traps are a big no-no.It just isnt worth it if someone gets hurt.

Later Gator
Dad

i've always felt that really the only thing i thought wrong with marijuana was if someone was hurt in the process of getting my weed to me. i feel that if thats so then part of the responsibility was mine because it was on its way to me. of course it is the illegality of it that creates that problem.

God that fish hook thing is aweful. Booby traps are one of the dumbest things in the world to try to prevent people from finding out about your grow. It's called a BASEMENT! If I was the dad I would've beat the piss outta the asshole who did that. Growing marijuana is fine, but one risk you take is someone finding out, deal with it and asses the risk, don't hurt innocent people because they accidentally found your grow. I'd try a little friendly sign near the grow stating it's for medical purposes and to please not tell anyone. Not saying that will always work, but there are good souls out there.

It's interresting, you use boobytraps to keep people from finding your grow, the the traps in and of themselves draw atention to an area. The only time traps are useful is when people already know where you are and you're trying to keep them out, but that doesn't exactly work in this modern world very well. Ah well, some people are foolish.

good lesson to learn from a story like that

Back
Top Bottom