Letter: Support The Medical Marijuana Act

Truth Seeker

On behalf of many Illinoisans suffering from terminal illnesses, debilitating medical conditions and incapacitating pain, I ask Governor Quinn to sign HB 1, the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, into law.

I'm a disabled veteran of the U.S. Army. My multiple sclerosis dictates that I'm wheelchair-bound for the remainder of my life. My symptoms include severe muscle spasms, fatigue and prolonged bouts of extreme pain. My spasms force my legs to lock together and my hands to cramp up.

Despite taking 59 pills a day, no amount of medication helped. But cannabis reduced my medication intake to 25 pills a day while enabling me to separate my arms and legs, undergo physical therapy and, most importantly, get out of the bed and enjoy my life.

Unlike many harmful prescription drugs, cannabis is natural and nonaddictive. With strong safeguards to restrict access, HB 1 prevents medical marijuana from recreational and illicit use and ensures that only qualified patients can obtain it. HB 1 also allows patients and caregivers–like my wife, Sandy–safe access instead of going to the streets and risking harm or arrest.

Some believe HB 1 sends the wrong message to our young people. But Sandy and I raised two boys as successful adults who value compassion for those who are sick. They now spend quality time with their father instead of watching me suffer helplessly.

Signing HB 1 would serve as a godsend to patients like myself and many others who desperately need it to become law.

Cannabis_Flowers.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: rrstar.com
Author: Jim Champion
Website: Letter: Support the medical marijuana act - Rockford, IL - Rockford Register Star

Back
Top Bottom