light mover

Peacock

Hi, Just installed a 6rpm light mover. I started with installing it on a 3/4" piece of plywood. The light mover made a vibrating sound and could hear it upstairs. I decided to reinstall it with a piece of 2X4, and installed the rail with larger screws into the 2 X 4. The vibrating noise continues. I vibrates and then quite and then vibrates again. It does not matter in between or just below where the screws are. I also tried a piece of foam in between the 2 X 4 and the ceiling no change.
If anyone has a solution it would be very helpful and thanks.
There is a little play in the motor but it is needed when it changes direction.

Thanks in advance.

Use bungy cords to hang the assembly form the ceiling. That should help issolate it.

I don't see how you could hang a light mover from bungies. I have built a support frame up from the floor in the past, that should work. If you had a picture it wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, I can actually picture going about using cords to noise dampen, but would need to incorporate some method of support in order to have the motor drive on the rail. A bit complicated even as I try to see it through in my head. This would be great for a fan/scrubber though...

Simplest first. Get some 1/2" neoprene pads, or even the knee pads you can get at the nursery/wmart gardening. Thinner is somewhat better- don't get 1" or anything. Denser vs softer is better.

Drill pilot holes into the ceiling studs & use 3-3.5" wood screws... can't recall gauge, but go thick... even if you use hex heads that are 1/4" thick in the rod itself & need to use a socket wrench to screw in. Place the pad between the ceiling & the entire length of the 2x4... may need multiple pads & cut it to fit. Screw it in tight... real tight. This should be as solid an anchor to framing of the house as you will need. Firmly screw the rail to the 2x4. It shouldn't rattle at all. Any further noise will be from the motor & drive assembly. If it does rattle, it isn't the rail & 2x4. Heck, you might be able to do away with the 2x4, but I would as overkill isn't usually as much a problem as not doing enough.

Best. BTW, a garden, properly equipped, makes noise (period). Best.

I used a similar material to neoprene and did not work.
I supported the light mover (less than 5 pounds) rail to the ceiling with a 2 X 4 and 3" brass screws. I would say the plants will have to live with the noise for 12 hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom