Lighting for clones

TalanGrows

420 Member
I am a beginner grower working on a small closet grow. I received some trimmings from a friend which have been under the dome for a week now. My main concern is in the lighting. I'm not sure if it's sufficient lighting and if it is how long until I will need to upgrade? I have 8 clones which were dipped in rooting powder and placed in rapid root starter pods. They have maintained around 80-85°F and 70% humidity. I mist them daily with a water solution including 1/2 the recommended strengths of Mammoth P bloom enhancer and SLF-100 enzymatic cleanser. The lighting I am using consists of 2 red and blue led strip lights which I know are 12 actual watts each, as well as 2 led lamp bulbs which are 8 watts, 5000K, 760 lumens. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I do intend on upgrading to a 900 watt led system soon. I just want to know if this will work until I get that next week.
Videos that may help:

I never give my clones anything but rooting powder and stick in a jiffy pellet, 5-7 days later I have roots and transplant...I never stick them in direct lighting either just off to the side in some shade so they can concentrate on growing roots...peace and welcome to the forum

I am a beginner grower working on a small closet grow. I received some trimmings from a friend which have been under the dome for a week now. My main concern is in the lighting. I'm not sure if it's sufficient lighting and if it is how long until I will need to upgrade? I have 8 clones which were dipped in rooting powder and placed in rapid root starter pods. They have maintained around 80-85°F and 70% humidity. I mist them daily with a water solution including 1/2 the recommended strengths of Mammoth P bloom enhancer and SLF-100 enzymatic cleanser. The lighting I am using consists of 2 red and blue led strip lights which I know are 12 actual watts each, as well as 2 led lamp bulbs which are 8 watts, 5000K, 760 lumens. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I do intend on upgrading to a 900 watt led system soon. I just want to know if this will work until I get that next week.
Videos that may help:
Hey Talan, I just reread your post and buddy no offense but you're killing them, not only are you drowning them but you're feeding them before they have roots to feed with...I use Jiffy pellets and rooting powder and a 3 liter bottle...
002.jpg

001.jpg

mine0.JPG

Good advice by all of course.

For me cloning took a lot of reading and experimenting with many tricks and techniques. Most everyone has a variation that works best for them.

My recipe sounds horrendous but works for me and I’m finally successful almost 100%. Most are bits and pieces of what works for others and combined.

I take used HF soil from my prior grow and dampen it with 1/4 dose bloom nute and ph it to 5.8. Fill a 6 oz clear cup (holes in the bottom) with dirt and make hole. Take clone, for me the clone stem must have a node present. Cut @ a 45 and skin the stalk slicing off the bump of the node (bet cash that’s where roots pop first) dip in the cheap powder and make sure it’s buried and soil is tight around the stem. One spritz of water into a clear 8 oz cup and over the 6 oz cup as a dome. Into my cloning bucket which sits on a seedling pad and under 2 100w cfl’s. 10 days or so...roots.

The blue wrap is construction paper to block lights from the roots.

It’s all just reading and practice to find what works for you. While many people have great success using rapid rooters, peat pucks or dip n grow I have no luck with any of these.

Attachments

• 4A485631-F8EC-4794-9CBC-4AA03E429F1B.jpeg
    4A485631-F8EC-4794-9CBC-4AA03E429F1B.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 860EEA50-E2DD-43AE-8C0F-F2717B7A3746.jpeg
    860EEA50-E2DD-43AE-8C0F-F2717B7A3746.jpeg
    451 KB · Views: 73
  • 43D675BA-34DD-4264-899E-B1FF8E14BF1F.jpeg
    43D675BA-34DD-4264-899E-B1FF8E14BF1F.jpeg
    458.4 KB · Views: 81
Good advice by all of course.

For me cloning took a lot of reading and experimenting with many tricks and techniques. Most everyone has a variation that works best for them.

My recipe sounds horrendous but works for me and I’m finally successful almost 100%. Most are bits and pieces of what works for others and combined.

I take used HF soil from my prior grow and dampen it with 1/4 dose bloom nute and ph it to 5.8. Fill a 6 oz clear cup (holes in the bottom) with dirt and make hole. Take clone, for me the clone stem must have a node present. Cut @ a 45 and skin the stalk slicing off the bump of the node (bet cash that’s where roots pop first) dip in the cheap powder and make sure it’s buried and soil is tight around the stem. One spritz of water into a clear 8 oz cup and over the 6 oz cup as a dome. Into my cloning bucket which sits on a seedling pad and under 2 100w cfl’s. 10 days or so...roots.

The blue wrap is construction paper to block lights from the roots.

It’s all just reading and practice to find what works for you. While many people have great success using rapid rooters, peat pucks or dip n grow I have no luck with any of these.

Do you have any ideas on how I could adjust my current setup to achieve success? I have been going off of videos I've seen on YouTube so far. They seemed to know what they were doing and most had similar methods to mine with lighting being the primary exception.

lol, Cut them, put in RO water with 200 PPM bloom nutes, under 25watt 3000K for 5 days, transplant to RootRiot plugs, 5 more days growth.

for the first 5 days, I dont cut the leafs, i dont mist with water, I dont put on a dome, heck, the humidity is 35% and temp is 70F, always success. after the 5 days, they go into plugs, and to 250 par lighting.

Thing is with clones, as they’re rooting, they don’t need or seem to like a lot of light.

I was using a ufo and it destroyed them. I’ve used a single “60w” cfl with constant success. Light isn’t most important on the list. I only use the two 100w’s because I have rooted clones in with new ones.

For me your clones are really big. Ones I take are 2-3 inches tops. I trim off all but the top leaves and trim the ends of them to help transpiration and fitting to dome on.

Back
Top Bottom