Long Beach Council Stops Ordinance, Keeps Medical Marijuana Dispensary Ban In Place

Robert Celt

City Council members who had supported creating legal medical marijuana dispensaries waved the white flag Tuesday, opting for a continued ban rather than a much smaller delivery-only model.

The council has grappled with creating a local law to regulate dispensaries since 2010, when a first dispensary ordinance was ruled unconstitutional. On Dec. 8, it appeared an ordinance allowing up to nine dispensaries was ready to pass when Third District Councilwoman Suzie Price offered a substitute that would have authorized up to four delivery-only dispensaries – a motion that passed on a 5-4 vote.

That ordinance came back to the council Tuesday. After Price moved to approve the ordinance, Ninth District Councilman Rex Richardson countered with a motion to receive and file – an action that would continue the city's ban on marijuana dispensaries.

"The original intent of this legislation was sound public policy," Richardson said. "This version is just a waste of time and resources... This is just not smart fiscal policy. We know there are ballot issues out there. I would make a substitution motion that we receive and file."

Vice Mayor and Second District Councilwoman Suja Lowenthal quickly seconded the motion. Lowenthal was the sponsor of the original proposal on Dec. 8. She was supported by Seventh District Councilman Roberto Uranga.

"When Suja and I brought this forward in the first place, a lot of work was put into this," Uranga said. "I want to thank the task force, and I want to thank the city attorney's office, for all the work. When we started, I wanted to put Long Beach in the forefront, as a leader in the medical marijuana issue. That did not happen."

Lowenthal said that a local ballot initiative would not have happened if the council had created a reasonable policy. Richardson added that he was speaking of both local and statewide ballot measures.

"We've spent seven years trying to work this out," Lowenthal said. "In that time, our constituents have changed, our colleagues have changed. Our job is to know the pulse of our community, and we have let everyone down with a policy that's really not workable... I would rather have nothing than have a bad something."

Price deflected complaints about the ordinance that had passed Dec 8. Instead, she said she would support a receive and file motion.

"This is actually music to my ears," Price said. "I've been advocating keeping the ban in place since the beginning... I would remind you that any medical marijuana ordinance we might pass would have a negative financial impact."

After about 15 minutes of public comment, the council voted unanimously to receive and file the ordinance, continuing the dispensary ban.

Joint17.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Long Beach Council Stops Ordinance, Keeps Medical Marijuana Dispensary Ban In Place
Author: Harry Saltzgaver
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom