longtime hps user switching to cfls, need help

XxUpInSmokExX

i have always used hps but after reading a journal by matanuska valley have decided to do an all cfl grow from start to finish as he got wonderful results and only sacrificed a small amount of weight but saved big on the electric bill

i have never used cfls and was curios as to which ones i need that are relatively similar to an hps spectrum

keep in mind i will be using a good amount of cfls to accomodate for the substitution of the hps

I am a huge fan of CFLs and I had better than expected results.

You say you read a thread about it, so let that be your guide.

I will say a couple of things about the whole thing though:

1. You need to fool around with your lighting and be more creative in making sure your light gets to where it is supposed to with CFLs. You do not have the same power as with a HID light and have to put fixtures all over the place and close to the plants. You have to readjust them all the time as the plants grow. It is a lot more fooling around.

2. Although CFLs are substantially cooler, and probably my prime reason for using them, they do produce heat and that needs to be relocated. You cannot believe you are not going to need ventilation once you switch to CFLs.

Good luck on this. I bet you are pleasantly surprised with the benefits of the switch.

i have never used cfls and was curios as to which ones i need that are relatively similar to an hps spectrum

2700 to 3500 kelvin for flower.....

thanks hogdady, thats exactly the kind of reply i was looking for

g-dog, i already have every other aspect under control besides the kind of bulbs and fixtures i need, but your input is still very much appreciated

and one day i will post one of my many grows on here, still not to sure about it yet but who knows it may be this new grow with the cfls, im pretty much fed up with the cost of running multiple hps's and may not swap back too them once i get the hang of the cfls

hogdady, what about wattage

is 3500k the spectrum?

hogdady, what about wattage

is 3500k the spectrum?

3000-5000 lumens per square foot.....2700-3500 kelvin is the fluoro spectrum for flowering

FYI....imho your yield will not be the same as with an HPS

hogday, i do realize the yield will be a lil smaller but with the right amount of light will hardly be able to tell the difference

ive been hearing that 2700k is closer to an hps spectrum but i will probably be mixing the 2700k and more whiter cfls (to immitate hps and mh) in flower

hogday, i do realize the yield will be a lil smaller but with the right amount of light will hardly be able to tell the difference

The problem lies in the intensity of the light. HID lights penetrate much further into the canopy then fluorescent. The trick with flourescents is to keep the light as close as possible to the plant and to bathe it in light from several angles.

ive been hearing that 2700k is closer to an hps spectrum but i will probably be mixing the 2700k and more whiter cfls (to immitate hps and mh) in flower

A total waste of time, imho.

what seems to be the "waist of time"

also i know there is a spectacular difference in intensity between hid and cfls, im completely aware of this

everyone keeps telling me the same shit i already know when asking about cfls
i know they are not as strong i know they dont penetrate the canopy as well and i know they will have to be closer to the plants, and i am already prepared to take care of all these problems...my grow room is going to be completely switched around to accomadate the new cfls

also i know there is a spectacular difference in intensity between hid and cfls, im completely aware of this

everyone keeps telling me the same shit i already know when asking about cfls
i know they are not as strong i know they dont penetrate the canopy as well and i know they will have to be closer to the plants, and i am already prepared to take care of all these problems...my grow room is going to be completely switched around to accomadate the new cfls

ez big fella....here, have a hit :tokin:

didnt mean to seem angry and full of frustration,
especially didnt mean to direct it towards any one person,

youve bee a big help hogdady and i appreciate it dearly

Back
Top Bottom