Looking for higher end LED lights

If you aren't in a hurry check out Kingbrite on Alibaba.

I source most all of my parts from Kingbright (Jerry) and his prices are hard to beat. My orders takes about a week to 10 days to arrive if he has it in stock. For heat sinks try HeatSink USA. My last email from Jerry, he stated that he will greatly increase his inventory of drives (MW) and cobs (Cree) and the pricing is coming down, new LES stuff getting ready to hit the market.

Thanks JuanC,Atulip & Speyfly :Namaste:. I've dinally sourced some here locally:cheer:. I think i may have ordered my Hs too early. I'm thinking I should have gone more modular and just did the single smaller hs per cob for a more modular approach to placement. JuanC, I'll be running the cobs 4 per driver. I bought two 100k pots. And two 10k resistors. Speyfly, the guy I'm buying my components from sources from jerry@ kingbrite. At least that's what I'd like to believe.

My only concern is, I see growmau5 speaking on the pin style, black anodized, smaller round cpu looking heatsinks that will fit one cob. Being that I've already bought my hs, I'll just stick with my two bar design for now. If anything, I can cut em in half. Can't wait to get these built so I can hack my diamind series xml 350!

StayFrosty,
CanEyeBus

When you are using CPU coolers you also have to have drivers to power the CPU coolers. I like the passive route afforded by a big heatsink.

A passive system will cost more up front but is much more efficient and saves $$ in the long run. One of my Cree arrays, the heatsink is 40"X12", 8 CXB3070 3000K running about 318 watts at the wall and no need for fans. It's a kick ass light but not the top, latest/greatest and most expensive but it's getting the job done. When the 3590's come down to a price point of what I paid for the 3070's I'll either rebuild the light (would take about 20 minutes to change out the cobs) or build another light. Either way, it's fun to do...

good luck!

When you are using CPU coolers you also have to have drivers to power the CPU coolers. I like the passive route afforded by a big heatsink.

Indeed, wall wort or one of those 12v drivers will run a few. Fans fail tho,too risky for expensive chips. The Hs they mentioned were extruded,round,and black anondized. They were passive if I'm not mistaken I'll have to go back and look. It's fine, I went over the modular single cpu style and the bar design for at least a month before I decided on passive and got some great advice from you and Atulip.'preciatcha:Namaste:

I'm not sure how accurate this is, I've read the cxb's are coming down in price in march. Figuers. :thedoubletake: Oh, hey Spefly, have any oics of the light/build?
StayFrosty,
CanEyeBus

The only pics that I have is the layout and the test before the reflector were added. I'll shot a new pic and post it when I get a chance.

DSC_0079-001.JPG

DSC_0084-001.JPG

Indeed, wall wort or one of those 12v drivers will run a few. Fans fail tho,too risky for expensive chips. The Hs they mentioned were extruded,round,and black anondized. They were passive if I'm not mistaken I'll have to go back and look. It's fine, I went over the modular single cpu style and the bar design for at least a month before I decided on passive and got some great advice from you and Atulip.'preciatcha:Namaste:

I'm not sure how accurate this is, I've read the cxb's are coming down in price in march. Figuers. :thedoubletake: Oh, hey Spefly, have any oics of the light/build?
StayFrosty,
CanEyeBus

Here is a pic of the passive extruded type heatsinks. The guy sells them as 4 to a kit. Vero 29's and cxb 3590's applicable.
SST140 Passive Heatsink Kit
Designed for Vero 29 and Cree 3590
IMG_207715.JPG

The SST140 Heatsink provides 50 to 80 Watts passive cooling for Bridgelux Vero 29 and Cree CXB 3590. The 43mm separation inner M3 positions allow easy mounting of Vero 29. The 50mm separation outer M3 positions allow easy mounting of Cree CXB 3590 with Ideal 50-2303CR Holder. Also includes 2 M4 positions on outer perimeter for securing heatsink.
The heatsink provides passive cooling for 1.4 amps to 2.1 amps. Recommended range 1.4 amps to 1.75 amps.

COB LED is not included. Ideal 50-2303CR Holder for Cree 3590 not included. May have minor scratches on base plate corners due to shipping. No damage to Pins or COB mounting positions.

Includes

4 Heatsinks. Pre drilled and tapping for Bridgelux Vero 29 and Cree CXB/CXA 3590
Includes screws for attaching COB and heatsink
Includes Thermal Interface Material Template(100 micron thickness) for Vero 29 and CXB 3590
Arctic Silver 5 AS5-3.5G Premium Silver Thermal Paste
Adjustable rope ratchet hanger pair

I said what the hell, i ordered a kit. All PREDRILLED!!!Now to get some design ideas going. Angle aluminum or a encasement of some sort?
StayFrosty,
CanEyeBus
Stay Frostyu

I've been looking at the round passive hs's too. I like how you can mount them so you can change the hs angle thus directing the light pretty much where ever you want when ever you want.

Those would lend well to a custom sheet metal case. Hate to say it, but the price hurts my heart! I think for my $$$ I would stick with regular heatsink.

Spefly those certainly are a nice deal!Appears you could also have them built to spec. Much appreciated. Got call CC now.

No problem, glad to help. The prices are for large quantity so you will pay more for a small order but it should be a much better price than you can get any where else. You'll have to drill and tap (# 6-32 tap & #36 bit) each hs but that's pretty easy and the screws that I use are the 3/8" #8 hex head coarse thread (I think). They fit the cob mounts nicely.

Keep us posted on your journey...

Says 25-40w of heat, but based on specs, it's 140mm in diameter, 5.5", 23.7" surface, x2 sides, 47.4".

Not counting pins but I'd say around 150 max. Based on spacing, looks to be 5mm each pin, 60mm height. 1.45" of surface per pin. 217.8"

265" total, based on growmau5's video, 17" per heat watt, good for 15w of heat. Unless the design dissapates triple the heat as normal designs.

Or compare to putting 4 cobs on the heatsinkusa 10.8" x 10" profile(1,376", 344" surface per cob, $85 shipped)

My math could be wrong somewhere, but I'm skeptical of their claims.

Says 25-40w of heat, but based on specs, it's 140mm in diameter, 5.5", 23.7" surface, x2 sides, 47.4".

Not counting pins but I'd say around 150 max. Based on spacing, looks to be 5mm each pin, 60mm height. 1.45" of surface per pin. 217.8"

265" total, based on growmau5's video, 17" per heat watt, good for 15w of heat. Unless the design dissapates triple the heat as normal designs.

Or compare to putting 4 cobs on the heatsinkusa 10.8" x 10" profile(1,376", 344" surface per cob, $85 shipped)

My math could be wrong somewhere, but I'm skeptical of their claims.

Atulip, the black ones I posted?

No problem, glad to help. The prices are for large quantity so you will pay more for a small order but it should be a much better price than you can get any where else. You'll have to drill and tap (# 6-32 tap & #36 bit) each hs but that's pretty easy and the screws that I use are the 3/8" #8 hex head coarse thread (I think). They fit the cob mounts nicely.

Keep us posted on your journey...

Thank you. As soon as I recieve everything, I'll document the build. I'm sure I'll need help/reassurance I'm doing thing correctly.
StayFrosty,
CanEyeBus

Back
Top Bottom