Louisiana: Community Members Hosting Open Forum To Discuss Legalizing Marijuana

Robert Celt

A group of community members are hosting an open forum to hear your opinions and concerns on the legalization of cannabis in the state of Louisiana.

They're hoping to spark the interest of many to move the topic forward in a statewide vote.

The use of medical marijuana is currently legal in both Louisiana and Texas. However, some Texans want to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes.

Dominick Cappozi represents 'Legalize Louisiana' and will be speaking at a forum today to discuss the legalization of cannabis.

"If Texas gets recreational use we're losing out on untold millions of revenue. We have been for months and months alone," said Cappozi.

Cappozi says Louisiana has a law in place that anyone caught in possession of at least a gram of marijuana is fined $200. Cappozi proposes instead of the fine, issue tax permit cards.

The cards he says would give the right to possess 14 grams of marijuana or less. Cappozi believes it's a proposal that could bring bigger bucks to the state.

"We're losing a lot of revenue, so what we're saying right now is, we want to side step the medical marijuana issue and by side steping the medical marijuana issue, we want to issue a tax permit card," said Cappozi.

Cappozi says that the tax permit card would cost citizens $200 and allow them to just "possess" marijuana.

"If you look at it right now for a revenue starved state that we are, you're looking at $100 million, and how fast can you print those cards? That's only if 10% of the state gets it," said Cappozi.

Not everyone agrees with Cappozi's stance on the legalization of marijuana issue.

"I'm kind of against it. I'm not like too for that. I don't do it," said UL Lafayette student, Madison Buller. "I really don't think anybody should do it, so having it legalized I think would put people in danger."

"I'm for it. I don't see nothing wrong with it," said UL Lafayette student, Todd Joseph. "It's not a drug that you get on then you just lose your mind or anything like some of these prescribed drugs. It helps most people."

"I'm for it. I feel like if we look at the states of Colorado and Washington that have done this, its really brought a lot of revenue into their states and I feel like we could really use that right now, especially with the way that our budget is going," said UL Lafayette student, Byron Boudreaux.

"I mean I'm for it I guess, it don't matter to me. It's not like I smoke it or nothing," said UL Lafayette student, Tyler LeBeouf.

At the meeting Cappozi says he plans to educate the public on marijuana, the revenue that could be coming in, the way it can be implemented, and how the state can reap the benefits.

The group will meet at the Lafayette Public Library Downtown and are inviting the public to come out and weigh in at the open forum scheduled for 3:00 p.m. today.

grassroots-vermont-marijuana-credit-rinny-wager.JPG

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Louisiana: Community Members Hosting Open Forum To Discuss Legalizing Marijuana
Author: Jade Choyce
Photo Credit: Rinny Wager

Back
Top Bottom