Loveland Takes Wait-And-See Approach On Medical Marijuana

In the past week or so, the issue of medical marijuana has gone up in smoke in Colorado, with legislation and discussions surrounding the drug and the dispensaries that sell it.

On Tuesday, the state Board of Health repealed its former definition of who can sell medical marijuana to avoid conflict with a recent Colorado Court of Appeals decision ruling that a "caregiver" must do more than simply provide the drug.

Yet while officials pulled in the reins, citizens continued to keep kicking marijuana use forward.

On Tuesday, about 70 percent of the Breckenridge voters who cast their ballots voted to make it legal for adults to possess up to 1 ounce of marijuana.

Loveland has had its fair share of hits, too.

On Thursday, the city's fifth medical marijuana dispensary opened and is now selling the drug to any resident who has a doctor's recommendation and a registry card.

Just days before, another Loveland dispensary was burglarized, with the suspects probably targeting the business to steal its drugs, said Loveland Police Chief Luke Hecker.

With so much controversy, action and discussion surrounding medical marijuana each day, what is the Sweetheart City to do?

The answer: wait.

"This thing is living and breathing and moving and changing now on a pretty frequent basis. I expect that to continue," Hecker said.

"It would make good sense for the city of Loveland to consider taking pause.

"Allow these things to finalize and take formation (at a state level) and then work on city ordinances based on some of these overarching guidelines," Hecker said.

The Legislation

It has been more than a decade since medical marijuana first became legal in Colorado when voters approved Amendment 20.

Under that law, residents with debilitating medical conditions and their licensed caregivers can legally have up to 2 ounces of marijuana and cultivate up to six plants.

However, questions soon arose about what exactly a "caregiver" is. Is it an adult daughter caring for her ill mother? What about a person who simply sells the patient marijuana?

Some medical marijuana dispensaries, following the latter understanding of caregiver, began opening for business across the state.

On Oct. 29, following the People vs. Clendenin case, the Colorado Court of Appeals ruled that a primary caregiver must do more than simply provide medical marijuana to a patient.

Last week, the state Board of Health repealed its adopted definition that a caregiver must have "significant responsibility" over a patient so it didn't conflict with the court's decision.

However, this definition comes just more than a week after President Barack Obama's administration announced a policy to loosen guidelines on federal prosecution of medical marijuana users and providers, noting that it isn't a good use of time to prosecute people who are in compliance with local laws.

Now, cities across the state are grappling with which government body to listen to and how exactly they should proceed.

And Lovelanders, from city officials to dispensary owners, are trying to find their way through foggy guidelines, too.

The Dispensaries

While definitions and rules surrounding caregivers remain hazy, medical marijuana dispensaries continue to sprout in Loveland, including Merry-Janes Wellness Center, which opened at 4229 W. Eisenhower Blvd., B2, last week.

Owner Anthony Krepel opened the shop in part to get in on the lucrative business, he said, noting he's found that similar marijuana dispensaries can make as much as $80,000 profit each month.

"I was sick of living paycheck to paycheck," he said.

However, in addition to the money, Krepel hopes his business will assist others the same way marijuana has helped his mother, Cindy Hayden, who uses the drug to ease her pain and nausea.

Hayden, who had part of her leg amputated after a dozen surgeries on it and also had some of her intestine removed, was once dependent on what she calls "FDA pills," which made her vomit and didn't completely rid her of pain.

Her doctor suggested she try marijuana.

"I was hesitant at first," she said. "But marijuana makes it where I can eat again. I don't get sick, and I can function without being foggy."

Hoping to help others like his mother, Krepel is offering discounts to seniors, as well as veterans.

"I know from experience how it can help," said Hayden, who also works at the center. "That's what it's about here."

Customers can shop the "bud bar," where various strains of marijuana are sold, or purchase food made with the drug, including cookies, ice cream and lollipops.

His business sells an eighth of an ounce of marijuana for $45, although discounts are available, and a cookie can cost $1.50 to $10, depending on the grade of marijuana inside.

Along with selling marijuana, the center offers massage and acupuncture therapy, and Krepel has plans to conduct wellness clinics, too.

Offering these services beyond marijuana helps the employees extend their role as caregivers, Krepel said, which he hopes will not only help patients but also protect the business through any legislation regarding the definition.

"As long as I follow the strict guidelines, I'll be fine," said Krepel, who said he grows his own product.

In south Loveland, marijuana dispensary Nature's Medicine, 418 S.E. Eighth St., also offers services beyond the drug.

"We try and help our patients find what is right to naturally heal their ailments," said general manager JoAnna McNeil.

And the center is catching on, serving 300 to 400 patients each week.

The clients' ailments range from Crohn's disease to HIV. Most patients are in their 40s to 60s, McNeil said, noting that very few are young people.

If employees find a client is taking advantage of the drug or dispensary in any way, he or she is asked not to return, McNeil said.

"We're not drug dealers," she said. "We're here to give you medication when you're in need."

And unlike illegal street dealers, Nature's Medicine pays its taxes.

"We're doing it the right way," McNeil said.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Loveland Reporter-Herald
Author: Sarah Bultema
Copyright: 2009 Loveland Publishing Co
Website: Loveland Takes Wait-And-See Approach On Medical Marijuana

Back
Top Bottom