LST and transplanting

Weedian2112

So, I have two plants that I think I need to start LST on, but they are not yet in the final pots I had planned for them. I was planning on having the plants finish the grow in 5 gallon fabric pots - currently they are in 1.7 gallon pots. I have an LSD that is currently 10 inches tall, and an Acapulco Gold that is at 8 inches.

Should I transplant up to the bigger pots and then begin the training, or can I start it now and then move them later?

So, I have two plants that I think I need to start LST on, but they are not yet in the final pots I had planned for them. I was planning on having the plants finish the grow in 5 gallon fabric pots - currently they are in 1.7 gallon pots. I have an LSD that is currently 10 inches tall, and an Acapulco Gold that is at 8 inches.

Should I transplant up to the bigger pots and then begin the training, or can I start it now and then move them later?

You can start as soon as the plant is big enough. If you push small stakes into the medium, they can come with the plant when you up-pot.

I do the transplanting to a larger pot when I have some time or when I think the plant is ready or can handle it. I do training or the cutting off of pieces the same way; when the plant is ready or I am ready. The cuttings will be put into small containers of soil and sometimes they start rooting and I have clones. Sometimes they do not root.

I do allow about 3 days up to several weeks between doing one before I do the other. In other words, if I take cuttings it will be several days or more before taking more or before I transplant.

I've sometimes started when I had my girls in Solo cups, when it came to potting up different sizes I drilled holes on the side of my flower pots to continue LST. In these pics I still pot up two more times
20190617_152723.jpg
20190522_072018_HDR.jpg
20190617_152429_HDR.jpg

I agree 100% with @Old Salt
I hope these pics can give you a little reassurance. Cheers!

There's no wrong way to LST. It's easier if you start sooner, as the main stem is more flexible. The advice I give is to visualize the plant at harvest, and guide her to that goal.

There's no wrong way to LST. It's easier if you start sooner, as the main stem is more flexible. The advice I give is to visualize the plant at harvest, and guide her to that goal.
True story.. I wanted my plants to grow in a spiral in those pics. If i can suggest.. well share a bit of experience, make sure you have some electrical tape, and clone x just in case. Ive snaped a plant before and the quicker you put it back together and secure it the better chance the plant can have to survive. If you break off a top you can try to save them by cloning it. Just some info to put in your tool box. :thumb:

So it looks like the plants have responded quite well to the LST. The bent parts have flipped back up and are grabbing up the light, and it seems the lower branches have spread out a bit more. So, I'll just keep an eye on them and keep inching them around the pots as they grow.

I also went back and looked at the instructions for my light - seems once out of the seedling stage I should have flipped the COBs on - guess that's what I get for not reading closely.

Anyway - brighter lights, what look to be happy plants, I'm just gonna keep on keeping on.

IMG_4901.jpg
IMG_4902.jpg
IMG_4903.jpg

Back
Top Bottom