Lyndeborough Man Advocates Cannabis to Help Reduce Pain

Weedpipe

420 Member
LYNDEBOROUGH — Carl Hedberg calls himself a "cannabis care coach," and he's on a mission to help others reduce their pain.

Four years ago, Hedberg, 53, had exhausted all methods to try to alleviate his chronic migraines. Over-the-counter and prescribed medication weren't working. In an effort to find a successful alternative that would also decrease his use of pharmaceutical painkillers, he began to do research.

He discovered Dr. Lester Grinspoon's books, which outlined the positive and negative uses of medicinal marijuana. After meeting with him, Hedberg, who said he had used marijuana recreationally in college, decided to take small doses of it for his headaches. It was a success.

Within the last year, Hedberg has worked with 11 people from all walks of life in New England. Most of his clients are middle-age women with a range of ailments, including migraines, menopause, multiple sclerosis and cancer. He meets his clients through marijuana advocacy events or referrals, and he said most of them already grow the illegal drug.

Hedberg will make a casual home visit and spend two to three hours with patients to teach them how to administer marijuana in other ways than smoking it. He's then "on call" for any follow-up questions clients may have.

Hedberg says smoking isn't optimal. The son of a former surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, Hedberg grew up in a medical household. After experimenting for several years, he has created beeswax salves, vaporizers, tinctures and ways to eat it in foods.

He charges $120 for his guidance, but it's a negotiable rate. This includes helping clients to make a tincture — a solution of grain alcohol, water and marijuana — and understanding how their body will react with marijuana, depending on weight, desired strength of the effect and tolerance to different drugs.

There are some drawbacks to the various ways of consuming marijuana.

"The challenge is it's in an illegal environment and virtually impossible to make tincture affordable," Hedberg said.

He says the underground market price for one-eighth of an ounce is $60 to $80. One ounce yields about 200 eye drops full of the solution, which equates to 10 to 30 doses depending on each client, he said. The tincture solution can cost up to $300.

Hedberg said his method is cost ineffective and that he primarily works with plant growers because they're supplied internally. Vaporizing, on the other hand, has increasingly become more popular among users because it's a fast delivery of the drug, he said.

There is a wide range of vaporizers on the market, according to Hedberg. When the active ingredient in the plant cannabinoid is heated to a temperature below burning, the plant material doesn't burn, but the cannabinoids are stripped away and released as a vapor.

Federal law bans the use and distribution of marijuana, although 13 states have legalized marijuana use for the severely sick whose doctors approve the drug. Neighboring Maine approved access to marijuana for individuals with medical conditions last month.

In July, Gov. John Lynch vetoed a bill that would have made New Hampshire the 14th state to approve it. The New Hampshire House of Representatives failed to override Lynch's veto in October. Lynch expressed concern over the potential for unauthorized distribution and the amount of drug allowed to be dispensed.

Hedberg is careful not to get involved with the supply aspect of his newfound business.

"I don't supply it," he said. "The grower piece of the dispensary system already exists. If someone asks me where to get it, I tell them to go to the growers."

The freelance entrepreneurship writer and editor keeps a low volume of the drug, never more than one-eighth of an ounce, in his home.

"I am hoping that New Hampshire law enforcement has better things to do than come down hard on me for using small amounts of cannabis for headaches or helping patients learn how to reduce the smoking aspect of their use," Hedberg said.

"I am not aware of anyone doing this before in New Hampshire," Hillsborough County Attorney Robert Walsh said. He said if Hedberg were caught distributing it, then local police would follow the law and brings charges against him.

In October, the U.S. Attorney for New Hampshire, John Kacavas, said he wouldn't prosecute people using small amounts of marijuana for pain.

Hedberg is cognizant of the dangers involved with his work and worries he could be caught. But he's willing to take the risk. If he's caught and sent to jail, he would bring a guitar and a write a book, he jokes.

"I'm putting myself out there," he said. "I think it's fine for people to do this and put themselves out there in small ways."

Dennis Acton, of Freemont, a cancer survivor, advocates legalizing marijuana for medicinal uses in New Hampshire. He found small doses of the drug to be more successful during chemotherapy than the prescribed $1,600 anti-nausea Zofran pills.

Now he wants to convince a female family member, who experiences debilitating migraines, that small doses of marijuana could be a positive experience and alleviate her pain. (He didn't want her name to be used to protect her anonymity.) She has tried every type of treatment, including Botox injections into her scalp. Nothing has yielded successful results.

The family member fervently opposes the drug because of its illegality and won't try it.

"We really want to try and do something for her," Acton said.

Acton recently discovered Hedberg and met with him. He has persuaded his family member to speak with Hedberg. Within the next week, the two will sit down for an informational session on the positive and negative aspects of medical marijuana.

Hedberg says medicinal use of marijuana isn't for everyone and may not be a guarantee to ease pain, but that it's safe enough to try.

"We, as citizens, have discovered there is a safe and effective medicine that has never killed anyone," he said. "Yet, we are not permitted to use it. Even if you took too much, it won't require anything more than fruit juice and a good night's sleep.

"The dangers are low, and some people have gotten off pharmaceuticals."

Unlike some pharmaceutical drugs that can inhibit a patient's functions, marijuana leaves a patient functioning and almost in a euphoric state, Hedberg said.

"I don't think the government has a right to tell us what we can use for medicine if we do it safely," he said.

Hedberg hopes to expand his client base and make a living in this illegal industry.

"I believe I can help," he said

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Nashuatelegraph.com: Southern New Hampshire
Author: JENNIFER DePAUL
Copyright: Telegraph Publishing Company
Website:Lyndeborough man advocates cannabis to help reduce pain - NashuaTelegraph.com

Im sure the pharmaceutical industry is not in support of decriminalizing cannibus. They will be the next up to get in on the action of dispensing. Cannibus is a great way for me to save money,if I did not use it I would need to rely on prescription drugs which is not only costly but the on going side affects are life disruptions I choose to opt out of.

Back
Top Bottom