MA: Another Pot Dispensary Considers Rowley

Ron Strider

The town's openness to marijuana dispensaries appears to be attracting more business.

Ipswich Pharmaceuticals requested at this week's selectmen's meeting a letter of non-opposition to open a registered marijuana dispensary in town. Selectmen denied the request pending discussion with the police chief and presentation of a formal written plan.

Joe McCarthy, founder and CEO of Ipswich Pharmaceuticals, outlined a plan to open the dispensary at 264 Newburyport Turnpike Road in a vacant portion of the Gino's Auto Body site on the south side of Route 1.

This location is near the proposed Nature's Remedy medical marijuana dispensary at the El Tapitio plaza. The board signed a letter of non-opposition for that business in August. The opening of Nature's Remedy is not confirmed but all approvals are being sought. Ipswich Pharmaceuticals also is seeking to open a dispensary in Ipswich, and a cultivation, research and development site in western Massachusetts.

Selectmen had their concerns at Monday's meeting.

"What gives me pause is that while other towns have changed their zoning bylaws to exclude this particular use, we have decided not to do this. So does this mean that Rowley becomes the mecca of the marijuana industry where you have a multiplicity of shops and people coming from miles around to get their marijuana?" Selectman Clifford Pierce asked. "It's something that might concern the citizens of town. I think we should authorize one shop and see how that goes before approving another."

Chairman Joseph Perry agreed as did Selectmen Dave Petersen, who instructed McCarthy to meet with the police chief and put formal plans for opening the facility in writing.

"Marijuana is here to stay but we want to deal with it in a reasonable way," Petersen said, noting that having three shops within miles of each other (Ipswich and the potential two in Rowley) was a bit much.

"I don't want to see our community become a marijuana haven where everybody comes to Rowley to buy marijuana because we have so many shops," Perry said. 'I would be hesitant to approve a second shop right on top of the other one."

McCarthy was asked to put his plan in writing and speak to the chief about the possible issues. He will address selectmen again at their meeting Nov. 13.

Dispensary_in_California2_-_El_Monte_Police_Department.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Another pot dispensary considers Rowley | Local News | salemnews.com
Author: Michelle Pelletier
Photo Credit: El Monte Police Department

Back
Top Bottom