MA: Watch State Ganja Gang As It Grows Like A Weed

Ron Strider

It's good to have friends in high places. Just ask members of the brand, spankin' new Cannabis Control Commission.

Oh wait. You can't because state Treasurer Deborah Goldberg, Attorney General Maura Healey and Gov. Charlie Baker have gone silent on the state's newest budding bureaucracy.

What do we know?

It pays to be in the Ganja Gang – they're stoked.

The chair of the CCC will pull in $160,000 annually with the other four commissioners making $120,000 a head.

But what really makes a bureaucracy bloated is the people. Multitudes of people. On the treasurer's web page can be found 10 magic, little words: "Once appointed, the CCC will need to fill key positions."

I'll bet they will.

Behind the five commissioners will come a slew of other "key" personnel, including, undoubtedly a smattering of administrative staff along with bunches of investigators, legal counsel and licensing staff.

The Department of Public Health will be in charge of making sure pot brownies get us just high enough, but not too high.

The industry will explode, state government will expand and the era of pot patronage will begin.

In addition, any logical person would have to conclude that we might find, down the road, that inhaling hot, unfiltered plant smoke into our lungs could be detrimental to our health.

That means high times are ahead for those in fields involving litigation, medication, hospitalization and – for those looking to escape the state's 20 percent tax by jumping into the black market – incarceration.

I don't mean to be a buzz kill. Maybe if Deb, Maura and Charlie could give us a clue as to who will be overseeing this scourge, I mean exciting new venture – it would be easier to chill out.

Cannabis_and_Gold_-_Getty_Images.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Shattuck: Watch state Ganja Gang as it grows like a weed | Boston Herald
Author: Tom Shattuck
Photo Credit: Getty Images

Back
Top Bottom