Major issues - 1st time grower- White Widow

IICEMAN

Seems Im having some sort of deficiency??
2 plants sprouted about 3 days before the other. Seeds were planted at different times.

Soil- Fox Farms Ocean Forest
Water- Distilled when soil is dry. Distilled PH is 6.2
Nutes-FF Big Bloom added to the 2 larger plants about a week ago
Lighting- 6x 23w 6700k ccfl
Temps- 82-78
Humidity-35-59%

Here are pics of the 1st 2.

This one seemed to be a mutant from sprout. One side had odd deformed leaves.
20150908_150315_0_1.jpg

First noticed issues with one of the smaller plants.
20150913_115604.jpg

20150913_115614.jpg

Thingd got worse from there (smaller plants below)
20150927_174243.jpg
20150927_174254.jpg
20150927_174304.jpg

The mutant (larger) is the worst of them all
20150928_094548.jpg

The healthiest (larger) one had signs of nute burn and brown spots
20150928_094557.jpg

I gave the 2 smaller plants to Evian water (calcium and Mag) and that seemed to stop the yellowing

What do you guys think the issue is here? The 2 smaller plants have not gotten any nutes yet. Only evian water a few days ago

Nute burn for sure. They are in FFOF and shouldnt have nutes for quite a while in that soil. It has a lot of nutrition in the soil already. Flush them out with water using at least 3 times the pot capacity and don't feed nutes for a while yet. Many growers don't feed any nutes in veg using FFOF. I do/did, but not when the plants were that small. Give them a few weeks after the flush to eat what's available in the soil before adding 1/4 strength nutes. If they handle 1/4 strength fine then the following week give them 1/2 strength.
It looks like the only def you may have is mag.
If you are using RO water or distilled I would start feeding them some calmag or actually probably just epson with the water now. It will avoid the Mag def you will get soon if you don't. I would just use epson for now as it looks to me like you may have a mag def and epson will provide only mag. If you feed calmag then the cal and mag fight eachother for uptake.
1tsp epson per gallon should do.

If there is no mag def the added mag in the epson wont hurt anything anyways.

Nute burn for sure. They are in FFOF and shouldnt have nutes for quite a while in that soil. It has a lot of nutrition in the soil already. Flush them out with water using at least 3 times the pot capacity and don't feed nutes for a while yet. Many growers don't feed any nutes in veg using FFOF. I do/did, but not when the plants were that small. Give them a few weeks after the flush to eat what's available in the soil before adding 1/4 strength nutes. If they handle 1/4 strength fine then the following week give them 1/2 strength.
It looks like the only def you may have is mag.
If you are using RO water or distilled I would start feeding them some calmag or actually probably just epson with the water now. It will avoid the Mag def you will get soon if you don't. I would just use epson for now as it looks to me like you may have a mag def and epson will provide only mag. If you feed calmag then the cal and mag fight eachother for uptake.
1tsp epson per gallon should do.

If there is no mag def the added mag in the epson wont hurt anything anyways.

For the smaller plants, im not sure its nute burn. When I started them out in solo cups, I flushed 3x with distilled and they have not gotten any nutes since. I did notice the smaller plants leaves started getting yellow is when I adjusted the ph of my distilled. Now I just leave it as is since its around 6.2 anyway. After I fed them Evian water, they seem to be doing better. \
I have some calmag on the way so hopefully that will fix the issue

The top picture looks like maybe some N def
The 2nd pic looks like mag to me.

Sounds like you have some ph issues that's more than likely the cause in the smaller plants.

The bigger plant has burn. Maybe due in part to the nutes and a ph issue.

FFOF is great for some people sometimes and horrible for others. I don't know the cause but if you look at my posts you will see I recently had HUGE low ph issues with FFOF.

I fed/watered at 7.0 ph and was getting runoff in the 5.1 range even before I fed any nutes. I use distilled too.

You need to ph test the soil and runoff to fix or fight the issue. If yours is like mine it will be a long fight. I'm in 3rd week of flower now and I can tell you that after this grow I'm done with FFOF

The top picture looks like maybe some N def
The 2nd pic looks like mag to me.

Sounds like you have some ph issues that's more than likely the cause in the smaller plants.

The bigger plant has burn. Maybe due in part to the nutes and a ph issue.

FFOF is great for some people sometimes and horrible for others. I don't know the cause but if you look at my posts you will see I recently had HUGE low ph issues with FFOF.

I fed/watered at 7.0 ph and was getting runoff in the 5.1 range even before I fed any nutes. I use distilled too.

You need to ph test the soil and runoff to fix or fight the issue. If yours is like mine it will be a long fight. I'm in 3rd week of flower now and I can tell you that after this grow I'm done with FFOF

This morning I fed my larger plants nutes (Big Bloom) but only 1/4 strength. I flushed 3x with distilled before feeding and the run off was 6.2 and 5.8 for the really bad plant.
I guess ill wait and see. Im about to start some clones soon so it wont be a total loss if things start getting bad.

Thanks for your help

This morning I fed my larger plants nutes (Big Bloom) but only 1/4 strength. I flushed 3x with distilled before feeding and the run off was 6.2 and 5.8 for the really bad plant.
I guess ill wait and see. Im about to start some clones soon so it wont be a total loss if things start getting bad.

Thanks for your help

Well your runoff numbers dont seem too bad.That's a good sign because the last thing you want is to be fighting a ph issue all the way through a grow. Soil ph could be way different though. I watered at 7.0 and had runoff at 6.2 and the soil tested at 4.9! I know now to always add 20% or so perlite to FFOF and a few tablespoons of dolomite from now on too.

Hope you get it all under control, I'm sure you will they don't look too bad yet.

Back
Top Bottom