Marijuana and irregular menstrual cycle

Thank you both for the comments. My hormones and "gift" have always been irregualr, but excessive not non-existent. If im not prego then i am happy bout it effectin it this way. lol! It also helps my cramps and pain and nasuea as well which is one reason i smoke it. As far as other ways of sonsuming cannabis, actaully over the weekend i made some cannabutter and put it in chocolate chip cookies. After bout 5 cookies i felt high, but in a different since, and i also didnt have to worry bout the smoke hurtin my lungs or the smell at my job. I will be so happy when al legalizes it. :)
<3 K.

I have my medical license here in colorado, I love being able to get DANK weed whenever I feel like it, legally.

As the father of three daughters I get it that menstuation is the "gift" that keeps on giving.
This is valuable info that I am sure will benefit many adult women across the world. :thanks: for sharing this sensitive information hopefully adults who are suffering with PMS or menstrual cramps will use MMJ to alleviate these issues.
We men are ignorant of these important issues hopefully this will allow women to make informed decisions about their care.

For the last five years, I`ve had major issues with hormones, specifically PMS, and growth, so I tried the pill, which only made it worse, and came off of it after a year of using it, and then was given Napproxen to deal with the pain of Aunt Flow.

Since I started using cannabis, about a year ago, my periods have been much lighter to the point where it`s like it`s not even there, and shorter in length, which is absolutely amazing. But I`ve also noticed that I`m now more of a every 21-24 days kind of girl, which I`d never been before. I had always been 30-34 days.

But on a different note, I probably am much younger than you. Though doctor`s have concluded my body has already gone to full maturity. But I`m unsure of how different another woman`s hormones are to anothers. I came from a pretty endowed bloodline, when it comes to females, though me being the most endowed.. I`d really have to say weed is totally different for everyone. And it totally depends also in the type you have, like Kush, or Shake.

Weed is multipurpose. <3

Yeah some weeds are grown specifically for pain management and stuff - its all about finding the one that does what you need it too :)

I have to agree that frequent marijuana use can alter your menstrual cycle. There are times when I smoke marijuana everyday that I notice my period is 2 weeks late. I'm not worried though because once I stop smoking marijuana for a few months, my menstrual cycle goes back to normal. But what about for habitual users? Can marijuana cause infertility?

Marijuana can lessen sperm count in men but Ive never heard anything about lessening female fertility.

.... And would 22 be considered young girl? Lol. Thanks for any info,
<3 K.

Yes at 22 you are a young woman, and physiologically mature. Good luck with your "gift" and :thanks: for your valuable input.:bravo:

I have to agree that frequent marijuana use can alter your menstrual cycle. There are times when I smoke marijuana everyday that I notice my period is 2 weeks late. I'm not worried though because once I stop smoking marijuana for a few months, my menstrual cycle goes back to normal. But what about for habitual users? Can marijuana cause infertility?

I have 4 children and was a dedicated groer and smoker for the first half of my life so IMHO will say if anything it increases desire and does not effect fertility. There are studies in laboratory mice that claim no adverse effects on fertility but I am sure someone somewhere will refute this and demonize Marijuana. That being said I would emphatically endorse abstinence from all drugs while pregnant unless instructed by a Dr.
:nicethread:

once this is fully legal, we can study this at a much deeper level. I do know if this would be any solution, but have you tried eating your medicine during your period?

I don't think it's related.. My girlfriend was sometimes irregular before she was smoking on a regular basis. Since she's been smoking daily, it became more regular. Not sure if it's related, but just thought our experience would help.

If when stopping smoking you immediately experience a delay in your next menstrual cycle could the delay be a attributed to an increased stress in the body linked to stopping smoking???

Hello everyone!!

I just started smoking this year. The first time I smoked was in September. At first, I was smoking once every two weeks to a month. Over the course of a few months (into December 2011) I was smoking every night. With that being said, I do not abuse the drug. My sleeping schedule got really screwy and I was using it to put me to sleep.

My menstrual cycles were irregular when I was younger. I went to the doctor to find out the reason for my irregularity and found out that I have cysts about the size of a pinky fingernail on my ovaries (poly-cystic ovarian syndrome). I got put on the birth control pill around the same time and ever since my periods have been quite regular (28 day cycles). I keep an menstrual calender application on my phone. My period has NEVER been more than two or three days late since I started the pill so many years ago.

Now that you've got some background info...I was supposed to start my period on December 16th. It is now January 1st, 2012. I JUST started bleeding and cramping today. My excessive amount of smoking for the month of December did in fact make my period late.

It may not effect all women the same way. But yes, smoking weed on a regular basis can affect your hormones and make your cycle confused.

Be careful, ladies. Don't be like me and forget to take your birth control and have a heart attack when your period doesn't come the day it is scheduled!

For over a year now I've had amenorreah (no cycle or menses), I just recently did two things for myself, I got a different job and I started smoking canabis to take my edginess and anxiety away. Within 2 or 3 weeks I got my period, which has been a long time coming... I am definitely sure that the canabis played a role but I'm okay with it b/c my husband and I would like at some point to have a baby, now lets see if canabis can help us with that...:goodluck:

I was wondering if you stop smoking if that will affect a menstural cycle. I've been smoking weed virtually everyday now for years and i recently quit because i need to pass a drug test, and my "gift" is a little late...lol But could not smoking after smoking for so long throw it off?

I am 22 years old and a casual smoker. Recently my breasts have begun to produce milk and my period is a week late the pregnancy tests say negative but my blood test showed high levels of pregnancy hormones... my doctor said it was from marijuana use.. I smoked a lot of weed for a few years and never had anything like this happen to me and I quit for about 8 months and recently started smoking again but only about 3 hits a day... how can smoking weed make me produce milk...?

I have noticed a definite effect on my cycle. What I find is that I'm likely to start spotting, or even go into my period, if I go from smoking every day to not smoking at all (say, on a vacation).

Here's a link to a study that appears to have some interesting information. Might take a week to look up the terms and figure it out, but I'll probably give it a shot, just so I can make some sense of my own observations.

Seems like there are some nice potential applications for breast cancer and also menopause. If we could get it legalized, there would be more studies, and we could find this stuff out.

Do any of you females that smoke on a regular basis find that marijuana changes, slows, or even stops your period? I'm a couple weeks late, took a pregnancy test and it's negative. I don't have any signs of pregnancy other than the missed period. I'm a pretty heavy smoker, haven't been a day without a smoke in a couple months so I was wondering if this could be the source. I read that the THC alters your hormones, but only on some government site so I don't really know if that's true. So please shed some light on me!

I'm here because I googled "marijuana irregular periods", and I have to agree with the above post. I'm an occasional smoker. Usually I'll smoke a joint with friends once every month or so, but every few months (usually during vacations, more often in the summer) I'll go through a time where I smoke everyday for a several days. I've noticed that during those times my menstrual cycle does change. Once I got my period two weeks earlier than expected. It's happened a couple times now and it's always during that period when I'm smoking more than usual. Right now I'm waiting for my period, and it's already five days later than usual and counting...and I've just finished a little "spree" where I was smoking everyday for about a week....so there is definitely a direct correlation, I think...

I used to smoke in school (I am 18 and in college) but it was pretty crappy weed and I vaguely remember it affecting my cycle. But recently, I bought some really good stuff and i smoked it probably 7 or 8 times in the last 10 days, and as she said above, I am going on 5 days late as well. I know it has nothing to do with pregnancy or stress because I am not stressed and I have not had sex before. Also, my diet and exercise has not changed. The only thing that I have been doing that isn't normal is smoking. Another thing to mention is that I have heard size and weight may have something to do with the affects of marijuana on your body and I am only just over 5 feet tall and 120 pounds.

yes. heavy user. and period is always either way late or ill miss it. nvr prgnt though. dont think its anything to really worry about. it may easily be just your diet

Just want to tell you that I am a new smoker, not as heavy as your given useage, but I have really irregular periods. It has been more than a year since the last one, and I had an extremely large cyst removed from my right ovary in 2009-2010. I just started smoking an almost daily basis, and have just started spotting today, 11/22/13, my last period was 8/ 2012. In short, I have a sneaking suspicion that the cannibis is regulating my screwy cycles.

I was wondering if you stop smoking if that will affect a menstural cycle. I've been smoking weed virtually everyday now for years and i recently quit because i need to pass a drug test, and my "gift" is a little late...lol But could not smoking after smoking for so long throw it off?

I've been smoking for 8 years and the person I got it from quit answering their phone (or got caught :/) anyway, my menses hasn't come yet. I'm on day 33 and waiting. My cycle is usually 28 days on the dot.

Hello! I took contraceptive pills about 4 years and I stoped taking them on the 18th of October. I had my next period on 20th of November.
Then I ate a lot space cake on 23rd of December (I last smoked cannabis a really long time ago) and now my period is few days late. I also took a pregnancy test because we didn't use a condom and it's negative. Sometimes I have a little pain down there like my period will start but it's late and maybe it's even canceled for this month.

I think that cannabis affected my period.
Maybe it affected because I ate a large quantity of it for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom