Marijuana And MS - An Unfinished Story

Truth Seeker

There is a growing trend for states to legalize marijuana for medical use. In January 2010, New Jersey became the 14th state to approve it, and many other states have pending legislation or other ongoing efforts aimed at legalization. In states with medical marijuana laws, MS or an MS symptom such as muscle stiffness (spasticity) is almost always listed among the conditions for which there is legal protection. These laws have given rise to massive growth in state "medical marijuana industries." It seems to me that Denver now has more marijuana dispensaries than Starbucks stores.

In the meantime, debates have intensified about the roles that patients, health-care providers and the law should ultimately play in making decisions about medical therapies. Because MS is mentioned specifically in many state laws, it is sometimes believed that the benefits in MS are proven--and that limitations on access are due purely to legal matters.

But there are many unanswered questions about marijuana's potential risks and benefits. What have scientific and clinical studies shown about the safety and effectiveness of marijuana for people with MS?

The fascinating science of marijuana

In the 1990s, there were remarkable advances in our understanding of how the chemical compounds in marijuana act on the human body.

Initially, it was found that these compounds, which are known as "cannabinoids" and include THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), produce biochemical effects by attaching to specific proteins on the surface of cells. These proteins are known as receptors. One form of cannabinoid receptors is found in the brain and acts to decrease the activity of nerve cells that are firing excessively. Through this mechanism, marijuana could, in theory, play a role in alleviating some MS symptoms, such as spasticity and pain. Another type of cannabinoid receptor is present on immune cells and acts to mildly decrease immune system activity. Through these immune-cell receptors (as well as other mechanisms), marijuana could possibly slow down the disease process of MS.

The body has receptors for molecules that are expected to occur. Therefore, scientists realized the body must make its own marijuana-like chemicals that have roles in normal body functioning. After all, these receptors don't exist in the human body just in case a person uses marijuana in her or his lifetime. Indeed, it has since been established that the body makes several "endocannabinoids." These chemicals are the body's version of marijuana in much the same way that "endorphins" are the body's own version of opium and morphine.

Study limitations

Animal studies suggest that marijuana may have beneficial effects in MS. In EAE, the animal model of MS, marijuana compounds have been seen to relieve symptoms, including muscle stiffness and tremor, and to decrease the overall severity of the disease. Here is the caution, however. MS is a complex disease for which the scientific understanding is incomplete and the animal model is imperfect. Only humans get true MS. Even if a therapy produces suggestive results in laboratory and animal studies, it is absolutely essential to do large-scale clinical trials in people with MS.

There have been many studies of marijuana in people with MS. Many of them have indicated that marijuana alleviates muscle stiffness, pain, sleeping problems and bladder difficulties. But there have been significant limitations to most of these studies, ranging from very small numbers of people to poor study design. The first large, rigorous trial of marijuana in MS, known as the

"CAMS" study, was conducted several years ago in the United Kingdom and found that THC produced a small benefit on muscle stiffness and a possible benefit on disability. An oral spray form of marijuana ("Sativex"), which is available by prescription in Canada, has produced beneficial effects on MS symptoms in some, but not all, studies. More clinical research has been called for and a large, well-designed study of people with progressive forms of MS, the "CUPID" trial, is currently underway in the United Kingdom.

Medical risks vs. benefits

Marijuana use is associated with significant side effects. It may cause sedation, increased appetite, cognitive impairment, psychiatric problems and poor outcomes of pregnancy, including complications with labor, low birth weight and delayed cognitive development in children. It may increase seizure risk and impair driving ability. High doses may cause incoordination and visual difficulties, contribute to heart attacks, and result in dependence and apathy. Marijuana may also increase the sedating or activating effects of other medications. The long-term use of smoked marijuana may impair lung function and increase the risk of cancer of the head, neck and lung.

Benefits in MS to offset such significant risks are not yet proven scientifically. Legalization for medical use in MS does not mean that the benefits and risks of marijuana for MS are definitively understood by medical science.

Many factors in the balance

When considering any medical therapy, it is essential to be well informed. One needs objective information about all the possible therapies available for a specific condition. Conventional medical therapies exist for many MS symptoms. These may be well tolerated and effective for some people, and, for others, may produce intolerable side effects or be ineffective or only partially effective. Thoughtful decision-making means carefully weighing all risks and benefits. Patients and their doctors often make trial runs on therapies and dosages. People with MS should discuss their individual options with trusted health-care providers, as there are many factors in the balance.

A Google search on "medical marijuana and multiple sclerosis" yields whopping results. What have clinical studies really shown about its safety and effectiveness for people with MS?

PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS

As a provider of MS care in Colorado, a state in which medical marijuana has been legal for nearly 10 years, I have made several observations. The majority of my patients don't use marijuana and don't seem particularly interested in it. Those who do use it span a spectrum: On one end are people who used marijuana recreationally for years before their MS diagnosis and want to continue using it for recreation. Now, they also hope it may provide some therapeutic effects for their MS. On the other end are people, including elderly ones, who are embarrassed even to talk about the subject. They have no past history of marijuana use, but have found that marijuana relieves some of their symptoms more effectively or with fewer side effects than the conventional medications. Of the users among my patients, the symptom that seems to be most consistently relieved by marijuana is the muscle stiffness or spasticity that interferes with sleep ("nocturnal spasticity").

On the legal side, for patients and clinicians (including me), there is an ongoing concern that, even though it is legal in Colorado, medical marijuana remains illegal at the federal level. Prior to the easing of the prosecution policy in October 2009, the federal government stringently enforced federal laws prohibiting marijuana use irrespective of state medical marijuana laws.

Source: Marijuana and MS--an unfinished story. - Free Online Library

Re: Marijuana And MS--An Unfinished Story

I hold this subject so close to my heart, as the person I love the most in my life, is a sufferer with M.S. My belief on this subject is very imple after having gone through the last 13 years battling this modern time dissease of the 20th century. My wife was also a pot smoker when she contracted ms I believe many years befor her diagnosis in the year 2000 sometime during May. I would love to aanswere any question you may want to ask me, however I think that the paitient has to make a consious look at life changing ways ,diets detoxing from metal and other impurities finding out about nutrient rich foods such as chlorella ect, maybe or if it can be afforded take out all metal in the mouth . But the ganja is SAFE so just let them have a good source of nice Ganja , simple as well the meds that Drs in our countrie use bacoflen and amitriptaline pain killers (maybe addictive) and other bits and pieces that all have bad side effects with them isnt that crazy when the paitient needs to be getting rid of as many poisons out of there bodies. My wife has done this for maybe 9 of her 13 ywars of suffering and honestly we wished that we had stopped the Glatimer Rainer so much sooner . I even beleave that when the drs tried her on differnt type of chemical meds this at times of using made this far worse. Ok she dosent walk to far now but this is more of a slow down in our own lives rather than her condition . You can simply juice the big green leaves and the amount of goodness from this also outstanding it will surly help any person let alone a sufferer of ms once again the best things are the ones that come from earth not a chemical that costs millions to market even Satifex are working with tied hands people do not need a modified ganja they need the real product that was used for the last so many thousands of years without complaint even from babies It is one great herb that sides up with many other herbs and supplement not to speak of anti fungles and ph balancers used together will help the patien be a whole person as much as possible
Love and blessings for your post Jai Jaganatha

I think I might have gone off on a bit of a slant. What I was trying to say is Cannabis will never hurt a person and the leaf juice has many medical potencies that help the imimune system with out getting the paitent high. And what these aflicted people have in common is that they will have much to much of an imbalance in there bodies from the onslaught of so called modern diet and/or piosons peace

Thank you sooo much for this post my other half has MS an i see how shit it is at the moment I dont have the time to look at the links but japentz you are great.
Like I said I dont have the time now and tomrrow I will be shopping in the morning but I would like to stay in touvh with you if you dont mind my Mrs an I have been Battlingthis modern illness for 13 years now Please click on my journal link I would love to converse with you :love:

Great news for Multiple sclerosis
Multiple Sclerosis is a debilitating disease that often strikes in the prime of life. In its inexorable progress it strips away the myeline sheath in the white matter of the brain and spinal cord. This results in a progressive cascade of symptoms including bladder problems, difficulty walking, dizziness, fatigue, muscle spasms, sexual disfunction and abnormal sensations.

For years, MS patients have claimed that smoking cannabis provides symptomatic relief, and reduces suffering. Research published in the forthcoming November 2013 online issue of Neurobiology shows why that may be so. As the title of the study states: Cannabidial provides long-lasting protection against the deleterious effects of inflammation in a viral model of multiple sclerosis.

Cannabidiol (CBD), a non-psychotropic cannabinoid found in cannabis is a immune regulator, which has potent anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive properties. Researchers at Cajal Institute in Spain, found that treatment with CBD has long-term positive effects, and improves motor deficits associated with the disease. It limits the harmful effects of a runaway inflammatory response found in MS, and can prevent the development of secondary and irreversible damage.

Treating MS early is one of the ways to slow progression of the disease. Since CBD is non-psychotropic in effect, and since the beginning of MS are often masked, with symptoms showing up after the disease has already progressed and damaged nerves, it makes sense to view CBD in terms of prevention. Keeping MS at bay, particularly in those who are predisposed to the disease may be as simple as taking CBD as a supplement, much in the way vitamin c prevents scurvy.

Cannabidiol provides long-lasting protection against the deleterious effects of inflammation in a viral model of multiple sclerosis: A role for A2A receptors

Continue reading at NowPublic.com: New Study: Cannabidiol Protects Brain and Spine in MS Patients | NowPublic News Coverage New Study: Cannabidiol Protects Brain and Spine in MS Patients | NowPublic News Coverage
This is just what I needed to hear it,s news that is so good it has to be true :cheer:Mary:cheer:Mary:cheer:Sweet Mary jaine :allgood:

:) I can attest that it may have lowered the inflammation in my blood. I had my blood tested. I had a procedure of angioplasty done at the same time, so it may have helped as well. See also www.reallynews.com

My inflammation went down from very high to normal levels.

Again great info I will get back to you as soon as I can My other half went to India and had all the metal taken out of her mouth then replaced with very good prcelain teeth with no metal or bad stuff the dentist done it all very well If you need a good dentist for same reason I can get his address for you I find with my Padma (mrs) she walk,s better after a joint and her mood lighten,s cant wait to get the time to chat better with you about this

Back
Top Bottom