Marijuana Goes To Vote In Canon City

Weedpipe

420 Member
CANON CITY, CO - Canon City has been slow to let medical marijuana dispensaries open up shop since being legalized in Colorado in 2000.

Tonight Canon City, City Council will hold their second reading regarding dispensaries at 7pm located at City Hall, they will be discussing a possible moratorium. If the moratorium were to pass it would put a 120-day hold on approving any medical marijuana dispensaries.

John Havens is the City Attorney in Canon City and he explained it as a way to buy some time to let the State Lawmakers clarify some of the issues that surround the issue. "Council wants to see what the legislature will do and then if necessary do what it feels it must do."

A major concern for the City Council is regulation for the facilities.

According to Havens, "the City Council seems to want to wait, to see what the Colorado General Assembly might do on related issues before it acts on what to do with medical marijuana dispensaries."

Some residents of Canon City have no worries about the regulations. Sandy Lupton is a retired nurse and thinks this could be a good thing. "I don't see anything wrong with it, I think it's going to be monitored closely. I think there is a need for marijuana to be okay for people who have terminal illness."

Not everyone shares this opinion; Jerauld VanRiper thinks without a doubt, "they shouldn't allow stuff like that in Canon City."

For reasons like this the City Council will vote on the moratorium in order to freeze all applications for the time being and give the legislature a chance to clarify some of the issues before they move forward with anything.

With the Senate passing Bill 109 Concerning Regulation of the Physician-Patient Relationship for Medical Marijuana Patients, Canon City will continue to watch the bill's progress closely.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: KRDO
Author: Anders Nelson
Copyright: 2010 WorldNow and KRDO

Back
Top Bottom