Marijuana Industry Relieved That Joe Biden Is Out

Jacob Redmond

The marijuana industry is breathing a sigh of relief that Joe Biden decided against running for President. The current Vice President's stance on the legalization of marijuana is much more conservative than Bernie Sander's or Hillary Clinton's.

"If Biden had been elected President, he would most likely have increased enforcement of Federal Anti-Cannabis Laws," said Eddie Miller, CEO of Green Rush. "The industry will undoubtedly support Clinton, who took a very neutral stance and Bernie Sanders who seems to be the 'Cannabis Candidate.' The industry has also donated to Rand Paul, a libertarian Republican."

During the recent Democratic debate, Sanders was asked if he would vote yes for recreational marijuana. His response was, "I suspect I would vote yes." He went on to explain that the unfair criminal system was the reason why he would vote that way. Sanders said, "This war on drugs has done a tremendous amount of damage."

Clinton continues to stand firmly undecided. She has said she is in favor of medical marijuana, but is going to wait and see with regards to recreational marijuana.

Biden is firmly against legalization. In 2010 he told ABC, "There's a difference between sending someone to jail for a few ounces and legalizing it. The punishment should fit the crime. But I think legalization is a mistake. I still believe it's a gateway drug. I've spent a lot of my life as chairman of the Judiciary Committee dealing with this. I think it would be a mistake to legalize." To be fair, a lot has happened since 2010, so it's possible he may have softened his position.

Kris Krane, Managing Partner of 4Front Ventures said, " It is true Joe Biden has been unfriendly to cannabis reform for most of his career, so there was cause for concern about a potential Biden presidency. However, there was also reason to believe he wouldn't be as bad as some of the more hard core prohibitionist candidates like Chris Christie. As Vice President, this administration has allowed states to implement marijuana legalization without federal interference."

16380.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Industry Relieved That Joe Biden Is Out
Author: Debra Borchardt
Photo Credit: The Associated Press

Cannabis and Hemp should have never been illegal. Federal Legalization will essentially give power over the plant to the US Government. It's like a thief who made breathing illegal then one day decides to stop punishing you for the thing they took away that you need as long as you pay them more money. Then the thief decides to control, charge and tax every single step in the distribution process of the thing they took away that you need. Then the thief acts virtuous while charging you for the thing they took away that you need. Meanwhile he helps cover up crack cocaine usage and child sex trafficking for his own son. Yeah, great guy. The entire world population who can think for themselves will be happy the sooner Joe Biden is out.

Federal Legalization will essentially give power over the plant to the US Government.
Not "will give" since they already have full power over the plant.

control, charge and tax every single step in the distribution process of the thing they took away that you need. Then the thief acts virtuous while charging you for the thing they took away that you need.
The way I see it the problem is that way too many people want this taxation of every step as their way of accepting the legalization. Look at what has happened in the states that have legalized medical or recreational use. High taxes on everything from the plants to the testing to transporting from grower to tester to wholesaler to retail. Special licenses and taxes again for any building that is used.

Biden stepped up and said he was going to pardon the Federal convictions for those with simple possession charges. He asked that the state governors follow along and pardon those with possession convictions in state courts if they have not already done so. Within a day the governors of some states said "nope, not going to do that". Gregg Abbott, governor of Texas pretty much flat out said "No, it is a terrible idea" and he wanted no part of pardoning anyone with any Marijuana conviction of any kind.

Biden did request that the govt agencies that have the authority to do so step up and change the scheduling but that is not as easy to do as it seems.

One way to look at it is that Biden did more for changing the legality of the plant to what we want than any president has in the past 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom