Marijuana Sales Sure To Change Valley City Finances

Katelyn Baker

Drugs not just revenue

I would guess that the cities in the Coachella Valley that allow drug sales will be able to collect a fair amount of additional tax revenue, however, whatever they collect will be spent on crime, crime victims, and additional required police activity.

If they don't spend a lot of that money on police enforcement they will lose officers to those crimes that are now working on keeping the cities safe from other issues.

Tom Simmerman, Palm Desert

Trump is scary

Donald Trump's behavior and words are those of a madman. He is a danger to our national security.

His party should disavow him. The Justice Department should look into hate crime charges against him.

George Garcia, Rancho Mirage

A tough record to break

Pete Donovan, in his column in the June 15 sports section, lists "5 unbreakable baseball records."

To be sure, all five on Donovan's list are very, very unlikely to ever be bested, but Pete omits the record least likely to ever be broken: pitcher Johnny Vander Meer's two consecutive no-hit games in 1938. Breaking this one would require three consecutive no-hitters, and I'm sure Donovan would agree that that ain't gonna happen.

Roy M. Pitkin, La Quinta

Give the police some room

Recently, I was pulling into the Ralphs parking lot at the corner of Sunrise Way and Ramon Road.

When I saw the flashing lights of two police cars in the middle of the lot, I diverted and immediately went into another shop for protection — just in case. Within seconds at least six squad cars were on the scene. I could see police with guns drawn in a tense situation.

Within a half hour the police began to move out, not one gun fired and no tragedy.

It was later reported that the police were responding to calls about a man who had been seen waving a gun. The police subdued the erratic man, took him into custody and determined he had a fake gun.

As a Palm Springs resident I was very proud of the police. It was appalling though to see the irresponsible action of the curious, who hung out way too close. No common sense for those people, but the Palm Springs police were stellar.

cred-desert-sun.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Sales Sure To Change Valley City Finances
Author: Jeannette Dreisbach
Photo Credit: The Desert Sun

Back
Top Bottom