Massachusetts: Arlington To Hold Meeting On Medical Marijuana Regulations

Robert Celt

The Arlington Board of Health will hold a public hearing Wednesday, Feb. 3 at 5:30 p.m. to discuss a proposal to regulate the cultivation and sale of medical marijuana in town. The public will have a chance to provide written or oral testimony during the meeting, which will be held at the Senior Center. "As Massachusetts health officials move forward with the process of establishing guidelines for medical marijuana dispensaries in the state,'' said Christine Bongiorno, the town's director of health and human service, "we want to have regulations in place for our town to ensure proper use and safety for our residents."

manufacturing-marijuana.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Massachusetts: Arlington To Hold Meeting On Medical Marijuana Regulations
Author: Jennifer Fenn Lefferts
Photo Credit: Julie Oliver

Any locals going? PMs are welcome.

As a note, Arlington was a dry town not that long ago. They have taken the initiative to get out in front of this, before any of the governing law has been decided at the State level. That's not a good sign. They will likely try to create their own rules by city ordinance. Those rules may be adopted by neighboring towns, that don't have such a puritanical bent.

That's not local for me but a run down if you go would be nice.... We doing coffee soon? :Rasta:

One of the few neighboring towns that might follow Arlington as a trend setter is Belmont - a horrible place to live anyway. Neighboring towns of Watertown, Cambridge or Waltham are trendsetters for others, not followers of Arlington.

I don't agree with you at all :)

Cambridge has always been the leader (for good or bad) on this side of the river. Both for political power, and for being progressive in city management. Maybe also Somerville too, for certain things, and I'd have to include Medford (national center for law enforcement against prohibition - LEAP), only as it applies to Cannabis, although it's still lagging behind in many other ways.

I work with every municipality in Boston metro, and I see it like this. Cities chase revenue mainly through it's taxable base, and they emulate the more expensive towns in terms of Services, and Ordinances, in an effort to increase desirability/property values, which will increase revenue. Restrictive Ordinances, are used to protect value once it's there.

Watertown and Waltham are more affordable suburbs, and don't have the impetus to protect their 'value' with more restrictive Ordinances, to keep the riff-raff out, as do the higher priced neighbors, Cambridge, Somerville, Winchester, Lexington etc. It's one of those that I'm personally concerned with, if you get me. :)

Be good to meet you if you go.

I don't agree with you at all :)

Cambridge has always been the leader (for good or bad) on this side of the river. Both for political power, and for being progressive in city management. Maybe also Somerville too, for certain things, and I'd have to include Medford (national center for law enforcement against prohibition - LEAP), only as it applies to Cannabis, although it's still lagging behind in many other ways.

I work with every municipality in Boston metro, and I see it like this. Cities chase revenue mainly through it's taxable base, and they emulate the more expensive towns in terms of Services, and Ordinances, in an effort to increase desirability/property values, which will increase revenue. Restrictive Ordinances, are used to protect value once it's there.

Watertown and Waltham are more affordable suburbs, and don't have the impetus to protect their 'value' with more restrictive Ordinances, to keep the riff-raff out, as do the higher priced neighbors, Cambridge, Somerville, Winchester, Lexington etc. It's one of those that I'm personally concerned with, if you get me. :)

Be good to meet you if you go.

I fully agree with your more sophisticated analysis of the suburbs north and west of the Charles. My children refer to their Romneyville years as living in Hellmont. We are a lot further west these days. I find it hillarious that the town selectmen and women know me when almost none of the residents do :)

Belmont, and MacLean hospital specifically, are the regional balance to Medford on cannabis issues. All those news stories quoting "Harvard Professor" or "Harvard Psychologist" are quoting one or two people with offices at MacLean.

I fully agree with your more sophisticated analysis of the suburbs north and west of the Charles. My children refer to their Romneyville years as living in Hellmont. We are a lot further west these days. I find it hillarious that the town selectmen and women know me when almost none of the residents do :)

Belmont, and MacLean hospital specifically, are the regional balance to Medford on cannabis issues. All those news stories quoting "Harvard Professor" or "Harvard Psychologist" are quoting one or two people with offices at MacLean.

Upon further review, I agree with everything you say. :)

Harvard has become another ignorance factory, and Belmont is where the Stepfords go to make more Stepfords.
Don't get me started on the soft science experts at MacLean. ;)

I found the below text from their PR firm: JGPR

WHAT
Officials will discuss the proposed “Regulation of the Arlington Board of Health Restricting the Sale of Marijuana.” The public will be given the opportunity to provide oral or written testimony.
The regulation sets forth the requirements for obtaining a Permit to Operate a Registered Marijuana Dispensary (RMD) and a Dispensary Agent Permit, which is issued to eligible employees of an RMD. The permit to operate will place certain conditions on an RMD and allows for local inspection and oversight. The regulation also proposes that RMDs hold an annual community meeting to give abutters and community members an opportunity to comment on its practices.

“As Massachusetts health officials move forward with the process of establishing guidelines for medical marijuana dispensaries in the state, we want to have regulations in place for our town to ensure proper use and safety for our residents,” Bongiorno said. “We ask that anyone who is interested in obtaining a permit, or who wishes to find out more about this regulation, attend the meeting.”

If approved, the regulation would also set forth penalties for violations, including fines, suspension and revocation of an RMD permit.
A draft copy of the proposed regulation can be obtained at the Board of Health’s office on the ground floor of the Senior Center or..

Link to draft: https://www.arlingtonma.gov/home/showdocument?id=28327

I didn't read the whole draft, but it looks like the original 2013 DPH implementation, that doesn't allow hardship cultivation except for very certain circumstances. I'm not that paranoid that I think they are going to try to enforce that, when the law is far from settled, but maybe I'll try to swing by to ask a question or two. :)

If I learn anything of interest, I'll update. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom