MD: County Approves Zoning For Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

Charles County will allow medical cannabis to be grown, processed and distributed within county borders, the Charles County Commissioners decided Tuesday, March 15.

The follow-up work session approving zoning requests came on the heels of last Tuesday night's public hearing in La Plata where seven people spoke, six for and one against the proposal.

The commissioners decided to hold off on voting regarding the measure due to the absence of Commissioner Bobbi Rucci [D-District 4] because of a family emergency.

Rucci was still not present March 15.

"I spoke with Commissioner Rucci and he said he was perfectly comfortable with us going forward," Commissioner President Peter Murphy [D] stated.

"We held a public hearing March 8," Commissioner Ken Robinson [D-District 1] said. "There were several speakers. Six spoke in favor, with one opposed.

"The six proponents all spoke in favor of medical cannabis as legalized by the General Assembly," he added. "This is strictly dealing with growing, processing and distributing the product."

"I understand what the law is and for me, it's about whether we are going to approve the growing and processing of marijuana in our county," said Charles County Commissioner Vice President Debra Davis [D - District 2]. "That's where I draw the line. I don't feel confident we have looked into all the pros and cons to have it in our county.

"Several counties have said no," she added. "I just wanted to make it clear where I stood."

"We're not talking about using marijuana for recreational use," Robinson noted. "It will require a prescription will bring relief to residents who don't have the ability legally to get that relief."

Davis stuck to her guns to the end, casting the lone nay vote.

Now it's up to the Medical Cannabis Commission to decide out of the many applicants from Charles County, who will get to grow the weed to help victims of chronic pain and nausea associated with cancer treatments and other ailments.

Some, such as Commissioner Davis, are wrestling with the ethical implications of growing a substance basically banned by the federal government.

Others, such as Ryan Wolverton of La Plata, who spoke at the March 8 public hearing, said he "was very pleased to see this is happening."

"I don't represent anybody," Wolverton said, "but I believe in the benefits of it. I have a cousin with rheumatoid arthritis who uses CBD oil and she has been able to have increased mobility."

He said its benefits far outweigh what the medical profession prescribes.

"All of these opiates out here on the market, it's no wonder people get addicted to these substances," he said.

The Maryland Medical Cannabis Commission is expected to determine which applicants will be allowed to move forward with their operations sometime this summer.

Indoor_cannabis_plants.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: MD: County Approves Zoning For Medical Marijuana
Author: Joseph Norris
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom