Medical Marijuana and the Second Amendment

Weedpipe

420 Member
CA - Redding resident and Army veteran Sean Merritt says he’s been denied the right to purchase a firearm at a local gun shop owned by Redding Mayor Patrick Jones. The sticking point hinges on a line on a form required by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, which asks: “Are you an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana, a depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?”

Because he uses medical marijuana (and even though he has a legal recommendation), Merritt says he was told by Jones that he must answer “yes” on the form, which prevents him from purchasing a firearm at Jones Fort, a popular gun and pawn shop.

At last night’s City Council meeting, Merritt argued his case before the mayor.

When he inquired about purchasing a firearm at Jones Fort, Merritt said he wanted to make sure the drugs he was on wouldn’t prohibit him.

“They had no problem with the morphine or the klonopin, but when I said ‘medical marijuana’ (the employee) said, ‘You will not be able to purchase a firearm because you will fail the background check with the FBI,’ ” Merritt said. “I said, ‘That’s impossible because my records are confidential and if the FBI wanted them, the person who gave them up would be the one to answer for breaking my confidentiality. Not only that but President Obama has given the power to the states on the medical marijuana issue.”

Here’s the compelling video of his appearance before the council:

YouTube - Spc Sean Merritt-Redding City Council 02-02-2010.wmv

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: A News Cafe
Author: Jim Dyar
Contact: A News Cafe dot com | News & Opinion from Redding & Shasta County
Copyright: 2010 A News Cafe
Website:Medical Marijuana and the Second Amendment | A News Cafe dot com

notice all the people gabbin in the background when he begins, you can hear a pin drop when he finishes. well done Mr. Merritt ... :peace:

Of course the thing is he doesn't have to check that box because its legal in Cali. And in reality the feds have no jurisdiction as far as firearms purchasing. Its strictly a state matter as has already been proven in court. As long as he isn't purchasing a gun from out of state he's legal.
Its just another sign of the adulteration of our Constitution and Bill of Rights. It started within 5 minutes of the signing of the Constitution and has continued throughout the decades and centuries.

The sticking point hinges on a line on a form required by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, which asks: "Are you an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana, a depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?"

Of course the thing is he doesn't have to check that box because its legal in Cali.

Pretty much.

Pretty much.

The thing is he is applying to an FBI background check. Under their narrow-minded policies, federal law, he is an unlawful user. Do I agree with this? In no way, shape, or form.

I am sure Sgt. Merritt could have gone out and purchased a weapon illegally. Instead he went about it as a law abiding person. Shame on the Mayor of Redding and it's city council. I am grateful to Sgt. Merritt for serving our Country and hope that the City of Redding rights this wrong.

Man, this is classic stuff. Lots of things going on here. I'm sure, for the Redding Town Council, Merrit poses a conflicting image. On one hand he is the war vet: to be appreciated, respected and honored. On the other hand, he wears a boonie hat and knows how to use guns so if allowed to purchase guns, is he liable to shoot everyone in town, starting with the good Mayor first?

He could have just checked "No" on the box, received his approval and been done with it. To choose to answer yes, knowing the med MJ med controversies, he must have known he was most likely headed for a long and drawn out battle. Maybe that was his intention to begin with. I would like to think so.

He brings up a valid points. As a veteran, it's OK to pick up a weapon and kill fellow human beings to defend us. And it's OK to take society accepted pharmaceutical drugs. But making conscious and personal medical decisions on your own will not be tolerated.

One by one and two by 2 and ultimately We The People: folks just like Sergeant Skerrit, will help to rid our small town councils of members who lack compassion, common sense and the courage to simply do what is right. To the Redding Town Council I say perhaps you folks have forgotten what it means to defend a democracy, abroad and or at home. It is obvious Sergeant Skerrit hasnt...:peace:MF

"He could have just checked "No" on the box, received his approval and been done with it. To choose to answer yes, knowing the med MJ med controversies, he must have known he was most likely headed for a long and drawn out battle. Maybe that was his intention to begin with. I would like to think so."
I agree but it goes to issue of where to get anywhere in this country you are forced to lie because the laws force you to have to lie. Its all a game and the honest people don't do very well at it.

"He could have just checked "No" on the box, received his approval and been done with it. To choose to answer yes, knowing the med MJ med controversies, he must have known he was most likely headed for a long and drawn out battle. Maybe that was his intention to begin with. I would like to think so."
I agree but it goes to issue of where to get anywhere in this country you are forced to lie because the laws force you to have to lie. Its all a game and the honest people don't do very well at it.

And gosh I have been on the meds he was on also... klonopin of all meds? Sheeh. When I came off of it, my doc wanted to admit me into the hospital b/c of the w/drawel symptoms that most patients go through! It can be insanely addictive and there is a hot street market for it.

Almost all big pharma meds are extremely toxic. Still amazing that they can push these on people and yet native plants are illegal. Its always about the money.

It will be if people care enough. Its why we lost direction in the 60's and 70's. As we've seen it takes decades for the people of this country to get heard. 2 steps forward, one step back.

Back
Top Bottom