Medical Marijuana and the Second Amendment

Weedpipe

420 Member
CA - Redding resident and Army veteran Sean Merritt says he’s been denied the right to purchase a firearm at a local gun shop owned by Redding Mayor Patrick Jones. The sticking point hinges on a line on a form required by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, which asks: “Are you an unlawful user of or addicted to marijuana, a depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?”

Because he uses medical marijuana (and even though he has a legal recommendation), Merritt says he was told by Jones that he must answer “yes” on the form, which prevents him from purchasing a firearm at Jones Fort, a popular gun and pawn shop.

At last night’s City Council meeting, Merritt argued his case before the mayor.

When he inquired about purchasing a firearm at Jones Fort, Merritt said he wanted to make sure the drugs he was on wouldn’t prohibit him.

“They had no problem with the morphine or the klonopin, but when I said ‘medical marijuana’ (the employee) said, ‘You will not be able to purchase a firearm because you will fail the background check with the FBI,’ ” Merritt said. “I said, ‘That’s impossible because my records are confidential and if the FBI wanted them, the person who gave them up would be the one to answer for breaking my confidentiality. Not only that but President Obama has given the power to the states on the medical marijuana issue.”

Here’s the compelling video of his appearance before the council:

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: A News Cafe
Author: Jim Dyar
Contact: A News Cafe dot com | News & Opinion from Redding & Shasta County
Copyright: 2010 A News Cafe
Website:Medical Marijuana and the Second Amendment | A News Cafe dot com

Back
Top Bottom