Medical Marijuana Law Changes Help PTSD Patients

Truth Seeker

Mainers living with post traumatic stress disorder will soon have another option to manage their symptoms.

Next week, state law will allow doctors to legally recommend medical marijuana for patients.

"Until I found medical marijuana, I was a ticking time bomb."

When Marine Corps Sergeant Ryan Begin's elbow was blown off by a roadside bomb in Iraq in 2004, that was just the beginning of his pain.

Doctors also diagnosed him with post traumatic stress disorder.

"Any situation you see, all you see is the danger side of things. You don't just see a street, you see a road that could be full of bombs. You see drunk drivers, you see people being unsafe, you see all of these horrific things around any daily event."

Begin finally found relief in marijuana, then started working with advocates like Medical Marijuana Caregivers of Maine so others could find relief, too.

"We ran in humvees and we dealt with IEDs and stuff, so when I go under an overpass now, I still — the hair on the back of my neck, it's still nerve wracking. But now with the use of medical marijuana, it only occurs for a brief second, a couple of seconds. It's there and then it flows through me. It's not just beating me in the back of my eyeballs continually."

Supporters, like former Marine Corps Corporal Bryan King, say legally allowing patients to use pot will help anyone dealing with PTSD.

"It definitely helps making it able to think yourself through a lot of anxiety. Sometimes it completely just takes the anxiety right away and you can just continue with your day."

Amendments to the law will also allow patients with movement disorders and irritable bowel syndrome to use medical marijuana.

Veterans say the change could change their lives.

King says, "It could make the difference between sending someone down the wrong road — to mental institutions and jails to integrating them back into society and being productive.

Other changes in the medical marijuana law take effect October 9th, too, like limiting state fees for caregivers and dispensaries.

MMJ_Prescription1.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: wabi.tv
Author: Catherine Pegram
Contact: Contact Us | Bangor, Maine News, Sports, and Weather - WABI TV5
Website: Medical Marijuana Law Changes Help PTSD Patients | Bangor, Maine News, Sports, and Weather - WABI TV5

Back
Top Bottom