Medical Marijuana Supporters Set Sights on Minneapolis

Roachclip

Citizens Organized for Harm Reduction has submitted a petition with 12,000 signatures to the Minneapolis elections office with the hopes of getting a medical-marijuana initiative on the city's ballot in November, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Aug. 11.

The measure would change the language in the City Charter "to require that the City Council shall authorize, license, and regulate a reasonable number of medicinal-marijuana distribution centers in the city of Minneapolis as is necessary to provide services to patients who have been recommended medicinal marijuana by a medical or osteopathic doctor licensed to practice in the state of Minnesota to the extent permitted by state and federal law."

The elections office is currently validating the signatures. The number of signatures of registered city voters required to get a question on the ballot is 7,774.

In addition, the Minneapolis City Council's Intergovernmental Relations Committee has planned a meeting to discuss the issue and the extent of their authority to put charter amendments on the ballot. "If it's not a proper subject matter to be regulated by the charter, which I don't think this is, it doesn't have to go on the ballot," said Committee Chairman Scott Benson.

City Council President Paul Ostrow agreed, saying any form of marijuana legalization is an issue for the state legislature, not the City Council.

Aaron Marcus, president of Citizens Organized for Harm Reduction, acknowledged that the measure's implementation is contingent on a change in state or federal law.

"I think it is an uphill battle, but I believe the climate is right," Marcus said.

jointogether
8/12/2004
Partnership for Drug-Free Kids – Where Families Find Answers

Back
Top Bottom