Medical Marijuana Use Closer to Becoming Legal in Illinois

On Wednesday, the Illinois Senate Public Health committee passed HB 2514 that would allow seriously ill patients to use medical marijuana and not have to worry about being arrested for possession of an illegal substance.

The bill is the first of its kind in Illinois and now awaits a vote from the Illinois House.

State Rep. Lou Lang (D-Skokie), is the sponsor of the bill, which passed by a vote of 6-3. And state Sen. Bill Haine (D-Alton), a supporter of the bill, said the bill is needed to help those who are critically ill.

"This is an important step for suffering Illinoisans who rely on medical cannabis because they, in consultation with their doctors, have determined it is the best treatment available to them," Haine said.

"I'm grateful to my colleagues in the public health committee who listened to science and reason today and made the sensible, compassionate decision to pass this bill."

Some HIV patients like Jamie Clayton are hoping the bill will soon become law.

"I don't want to use marijuana, but it is the only thing that relieves the crippling nerve pain that comes with my treatments for HIV/AIDS," Clayton said. "The only question is whether patients like me will continue to be prosecuted for using a medicine that works or whether our elected officials will acknowledge available scientific evidence and the will of their constituents and vote in favor of this legislation."

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Chicago Defender
Copyright: 2009 Chicago Defender
Website: Medical Marijuana Use Closer to Becoming Legal in Illinois

Back
Top Bottom