Medical Marijuana Use Legalized in N.J.

Weedpipe

420 Member
New Jersey joined more than a dozen states on Monday in legalizing medical marijuana use with the signing of legislation into law by Gov. Jon S. Corzine.

The legislation, which is among several bills signed by Corzine on his last full day in office, allows medical marijuana to be used by those with chronic and terminal diseases. Cancer, glaucoma, positive HIV/AIDS status and chronic, debilitating diseases or medical conditions that result in wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, severe nausea, seizures, or severe and persistent muscle spasms are among the medical conditions that would qualify.

“This legislation holds the promise of easing the suffering of many New Jerseyans, now and in the future, by giving them the opportunity to legally access medical marijuana,” Corzine said. “The bill has the necessary safeguards and restrictions to ensure that those suffering from chronic and terminal diseases receive relief while maintaining our state’s tough stance on recreational drug use.”

The legislation allows for the establishment of alternative treatment centers to dispense marijuana to registered qualified patients. To qualify, patients would have to be diagnosed by a physician whom they have an existing relationship with as having a “debilitating medical condition” and then would be issued a registry identification card by the Department of Health and Senior Services to use medical marijuana.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 Magazine
Source: American City Business Journals
Author: Athena D. Merritt
Copyright: 2010 American City Business Journals
Website:Medical marijuana use legalized in N.J. - Philadelphia Business Journal:

If the version of the billl that passed is the last one I read, it's not that great.
It's only state- run regional distribution centers, a 2oz per month limit, and the patient has to show up in person to pick up;no caretakers. That's alot of hardship for sick people who might be homebound or have transportation/financial problems. And there is no growing allowed. They had a six plant limit earlier but removed it, you must buy from the state run center.

And the law & order types might use the bills passage as a reason to crack down on non-medical use, so I'm not sure it's even a case of something being better than nothing.

for me its an admission of truth by a state government that MMj is for real and that the feds are wrong with their laws. theres not a MMj bill out there that makes everyone happy, and i wont argue that this 1 doesnt come with some flaws. its 14 out of 51 now, and more states are really taking this issue serious when just a few years ago the mere mention of MMj brought laughter and ridicule ... :peace:

Back
Top Bottom