Mexico's President Criticizes US For Drug Policy And Prop 19

MedicalNeed

While other countries in Latin American have tried to decriminalize and sometimes outright legalize drugs, Mexico, the largest piece of the puzzle has held on to America's drug war even though it has cost almost 30,000 lives. The problems Mexico is facing due to the drug war is that elected officials taking a stand are tortured, killed and left on public display. Police have been murdered and left on the steps of police stations. Journalists have been kidnapped and killed to the point that news outlets have stopped reporting about drug crimes or killings out of fear of retaliation.

Over the course of the last four years the current president of Mexico, Felipe Calderon has taken a harder and harder stance against the drug cartels, spending millions of military dollars to fight the civil war being waged in his country. America, in turn, has given Mexico millions of dollars to help fight their drug war, which in reality is our drug war. The drugs that Mexico is producing are headed straight North to our borders. The former presidents of Columbia, Brazil and Former Mexican president Ernesto Zedillo and former Mexican president Fox have urged Latin American countries to consider legalizing marijuana as a way to undermine drug cartel profits, but Calderon has long said he is opposed to legalizing. Other countries in Latin and South America have their eyes on California, to wait and see if America begins to legalize marijuana. They are waiting to structure new drug policies in their own countries until after the election.

Meanwhile, Mexican President Calderon has come out this week and declared that if California decriminalizes the possession, production and sale of marijuana, it will present a problem for Mexico. In an interview with a Mexican newspaper, Calderon warned that the move to legalize marijuana in California would put Mexico in serious trouble and would have an unknown impact on the Mexican market. He was quoted by the paper as saying, ""It's really hard for the government to jail a farmer who is planting marijuana to sell to Californians," He called the inconsistency of US public policy reprehensible and criticized the US for failing to rein in the demand for illegal drugs and clamp down on illegal sale of weapons that head south of our border.

In response to the killings and corruption of small, local police departments, Mexico's president sent a bill to Mexico's congress on Wednesday that would consolidate the country's nearly 2,000 municipal police forces with state agencies. He believes that coordinating police forces will better guarantee Mexicans security and be better equipped to take on the country's drug gangs. Calderon's plan has the backing of Mexico's governors and much of Congress but is, not surprisingly, opposed by the majority of Mexico's mayors. The mayors argue that putting the country's public security in the governors' hands will further weaken the country's federal system, which has slowly recovered from the one party rule that reigned in Mexico for most of the past century. Calderon has relied heavily on federal police, army troops and marines in his crackdown on Mexico's powerful and well-financed drug trafficking gangs. By doing away with local police forces, Calderon is eliminating what he sees is a weak link in his country's fight against drug cartels.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:cannabisfantastic.com
Author: Cannabis Karri
Copyright: 2010 Cannabis Fantastic
Website:Mexico's President Criticizes US for Drug Policy and Prop 19 | Cannabis Fantastic

Calderon is a piece of shit; under his administration Mexico legalized possession for its citizens.

It does not surprise me that the native Michoacán would legalize possession for his people while promoting a black market in the U.S. The state of Michoacán is primarily an agricultural and fishing based economic community. This is a farming state. This is a state that has a long traditional history of cannabis farming since long before this Gringo was born. Shortly after Calderon came to power the crime organization home based in Michoacán, La Familia, broken away from traditional allies and zealously contributed to the blood bath we so frequently hear about in order to consolidate their hold on Michoacán and wrestle control of the border towns and routes away from organizations they once worked for.

Calderon has driven his country into another civil war, and now suggests that American's should keep cannabis illegal while his own government does not. The notion that he is serious about stopping drug use in the U.S. is suspect. The fact that he wants to keep a large black market economy going in the U.S. that Mexico benefits from financially is criminal.

Calderon warned that the move to legalize marijuana in California would put Mexico in serious trouble and would have an unknown impact on the Mexican market

Ahh, yea. Who will want Mexican shit weed when you can have Cali Herbal Caviar? :goodluck:

“It’s really hard for the government to jail a farmer who is planting marijuana to sell to Californians”

Okay, if weed is legal in CA, why would CA want the mexican shit that is coming up anyway? If it's legal to grow yourself some purple kush, why would you choose to buy some mexican brick instead? Doesn't really make sense to me. Anyone I know hates smoking mex weed and only does it out of necessity.

its really not attractive for LEO to go after violent cartels, and risk getting shot at and bit by ticks and mosquitos, if they can get the same kind of numbers busting peaceful hippies with a couple of hps' in their closet.

Just remember Mexico supplies more than half the country with pot and the people that smoke it can't get or afford our Cali Grass. Mexico now supplies most of the speed that's in our country, that's where the cartels real money is not in weed. R.D.:yummy::yummy:

I'll tell you what Calderon stop sending tons of Meth up here and I'll act like I give a shit. The money the US has given Mexico for years has been swallowed up in your corruption and now your paying for it. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here but drugs are decriminalized throughout Mexico oh and that's right Mexico doesn't consume anything I forgot. Let me ask does anyone know where Mexico gets most of their money....I'll help it's equal or greater than they're GDP........WESTERN UNION. A government that's almost as corrupt as ours you have no room to talk!!

Great story Medical Need.

While reading it all I could think of is how much money Mexico would lose if we didn't buy their drugs and the fact that they have been decriminalized in their country. It is very clear what his real concerns are, the loss of some US Dollars coming into his country. Our recession (depression if you ask me) has already hurt them hard, as another poster said, "they get a lot of their money from Western Union."

I do not want to see anyone suffer financially, but the cartels are ruthless killers. Anyone that supports them is doing it out of either plata o plomo (silver or lead). You are damn right Mexico wants to keep MJ illegal.

Back
Top Bottom