Mint with Cannabis (Companion Planting)

Here's one that a friend asked me that I didn't have a ready answer for and couldn't find via a site-search:

Has anyone ever grown one of the mint plants in their cannabis garden, either outdoors in the same soil area or indoors/greenhouse in the same pot/media? If so, did it seem to help, hurt, or have no affect on the cannabis grow?

Thanks!

I have no experience with cannabis and mint together. However, I have planted mint many, many times with a lot of other plants and it never ends well. Mint is an incredibly hardy plant that will eventually grow to dominate any space it is placed in. In an outdoor location you may be able to get away with it since roots have a lot of ground to play with, but anything indoors will just lead to the mint choking out and killing anything it shares a pot with. This makes it highly unlikely that any symbiosis would be found in this given application.

had mint all around last years grow, was best grow i ever had! mint all thru gardens, cant gid rid of it! never considered any pros or cons from it thou.....

Mint and Cannabis are related, so I would think that if anything that mint might compete for the same nutrients out of the soil. Other than that I wouldn't know, other than some plants will absorb toxins from the soil that others will not. If this is the case with mint, and you properly fertilize the garden you might have a beneficial plant on your hands. And also, mint is a mild pest deturrent plant, so thats definatly a little beneficial, but so is citronella, so, Hmmmmm?

I'd like to hear from you after the grow if you or your friend decide to try it out!

I have no experience with cannabis and mint together. However, I have planted mint many, many times with a lot of other plants and it never ends well. Mint is an incredibly hardy plant that will eventually grow to dominate any space it is placed in. In an outdoor location you may be able to get away with it since roots have a lot of ground to play with, but anything indoors will just lead to the mint choking out and killing anything it shares a pot with. This makes it highly unlikely that any symbiosis would be found in this given application.

:bravo:

Me either, but I grow mint and it just doesn't play well with other plants.

DD

Good companion plants for most crops are peas or beans. Both fix nitrogen in the soil. Plant peas in the spring, then the summer crop next to or on top of them as they die back. If you want an outdoor companion plant that will camouflage cannabis, grow cleomie. It's an unusual flower that has the same lanky appearance and leaf shape (without the serrated edges).

i planted cannabis and mint in same a pot and both mint and cannabis plants grow just fine, there are no unwanted side effects...

As some others have mentioned, mint is notorious for having "weed like" growth (and not the good kind). It's an invasive plant so I think most people would recommend that you didn't plant them in the same soil bed or pot. That being said. I take full advantage of pest deterrent plants in my gardens indoor and outdoor. Chrysanthemum Pyretheum, Basils, Mints, Roasemary, Lemon Thyme, and Lemon Balm are all plants that I use in my grow areas to keep pests at bay. I grow them in separate pots though when it's inside.

Back
Top Bottom