MMJ Patients Required To Use In Only 20% Of Their Homes After Jackson City Decision

Truth Seeker

A controversial vote for a controversial law.

Jackson City Council members voted 4-3 Tuesday, Aug. 13, to pass an ordinance that obligates medical marijuana users and caregivers to use only "20 percent of the total area" of their homes for drug use and cultivation.

The ordinance is scheduled to go into effect Thursday, Sept. 12.

Council members Kimberly Jaquish, 2nd Ward; Andrew Frounfelker, 5th Ward; and Derek Dobies, 6th Ward, voted against the ordinance.

Dobies said the ordinance needed to be tweaked slighted before passing.

"I think there were still some few minor changes that needed to be made," Dobies said. "I think the part about only using in 20 percent of your home and other provisions created too much regulation."

Frounfelker added he believed dispensaries should be allowed within city limits instead of growing and operating out of one's house.

Jaquish said she didn't want the ordinance to pass at all.

"I don't think people should be restricted in their homes in any way," she said. "Your house is your castle. We shouldn't be involved in your home."

The stipulations that tenants provide a statement from their landlord allowing for the use of medical marijuana within an apartment or rental house and prohibiting "combustible materials" within a home where medical marijuana is grown were removed.

Dozens of medical marijuana advocates in attendance at the 6:30 p.m. meeting in City Hall stormed out after the vote. A number of advocates had come from a protest outside City Hall before the meeting.

Joe Cain organized the protest and spoke to City Council about the ordinance during public comment.

"I respect the law," he told Jackson officials. "You've been told 50 times by attorneys and by everyone that what you're doing is illegal and conflicts with state law. You don't respect the law."

Cain said he and other advocates plan to sue should the city attempt to enforce the new regulation.

Mayor_Martin_J_Griffin.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: mlive.com
Author: Will Forgrave
Website: Medical marijuana patients required to use in only 20 percent of their homes after Jackson City Council decision | MLive.com

Back
Top Bottom