MN: Marijuana Still Illegal At Federal Level

Katelyn Baker

North Dakota & Minnesota - There are more questions after Minnesota's Commissioner of Health Dr. Ed Ehlinger announced on December 1st that post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is now a new qualifying condition for the state's medical cannabis program.

Some of those questions are coming from veterans who receive treatment from the VA. Because federal law still lists marijuana as a schedule 1 controlled substance, VA doctors can't recommend the drug for treatment.

A Vietnam Veteran we spoke with, who doesn't want to be identified, was diagnosed with PTSD about a year ago. Soon after, he began using marijuana to help with this illness.

"I just hope to inform them (the VA) that I think it's a good treatment and if it was available, I think it would be a help to veterans who are suffering from PTSD."

The man said there's a lot of stigma surrounding mental health and marijuana.

"People don't like to talk about mental health problems, but it's something we need to do. And with weed, it's still illegal really, at least the federal level."

Below is the statement from the VA regarding this situation.

"VA physicians are prohibited from prescribing medical marijuana and are also prohibited from completing forms/paperwork necessary for patients to enroll in State marijuana programs. This prohibition is due to the fact that despite State law allowing marijuana use, marijuana is classified as a Schedule I controlled substance by the Federal government and Federal employees must comply with Federal law.

VA is aware that some Veterans who reside in States with marijuana programs and who also receive care in VA, do indeed participate in marijuana programs. Given the differences between State and Federal laws regarding marijuana, a Veterans decision to participate in a State marijuana program is a personal one and not one dictated administratively by VA.

Although Veterans who participate in State marijuana programs are not administratively prohibited from receiving VA services, in some cases participation in State marijuana programs may be inconsistent with treatment goals and therefore, treatment plans may be modified accordingly for the health of the patient.

VHA policy is derived from the statute, 21 U.S.C. 801, which prohibits the production, distribution, and possession of these drugs and must be followed on federal properties regardless of state law."

marijuana4.png

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Still Illegal At Federal Level
Author: Cornelius G. Hocker
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom