moving from 600w cfl to 600w hps

theengineer

hi, as per the title; what sort of hear increase can I expect?

I'm currently running two 300w CFLs, and have a cool tube and 600w hps waiting on a ballast to arrive.

I've also a 6 inch fan with speed controller as the tent is just 80cm x 80cm x 160cm

thanks

id say at least in the mid 80's f
it would really depend on the temperature of where your at
some people are freezing at the moment and running their lights at night to help with the heating because its not as cold during the day
theyre anywhere running in the 60-70's f some even a bit cooler like I said depends where you are and what your
temperatures are

ambient temperature in the room is 19-20 degrees Celsius, and the temps in the tent, at floor level, are between 23 and 24 degrees with it all zipped and lit up, at night it drops to 17 or 18 degrees, light schedule is 9am-9pm, thanks.

sorry, I should also have added, the fan I have is rated at 475+cfm, and will draw on the cool tube, acting also as an exhaust for the tent; if my school physics are in order, that should keep all he at from the HPS out if the garden, yeah?

yea I run led's to flower less heat I don't have high wattage and a ballast the bulbs last longer
might be a higher initial cost but saves you in the long run as far as money goes

holy shitballs, the difference between CFL and HPS cannot be argued, I tried to convince myself 600w of CFL would grow a decent bud, and that HPSs were too hot to run, but tbh, there's half a degree in difference between this and the CFLs lol

when I was searching, I couldn't find this info, so I thought this might be some useful for others.

600w CFL (2 x 300w) canopy temperature 35 degrees C

600w HPS canopy temperature 30 degrees C

440w HPS canopy temperature 27 degrees C

room temperature is 20 degrees C

I've a cool tube with ducting and a mini USB fan pulling on it - in-line fan is enroute, but USB fan is surprisingly effective

At similar wattage levels CFL and HPS have similar temperatures, maybe only a few degrees different. Biggest advantage is the cool tube for the HID lights. If those CFL's were air cooled they run cooler as well I would bet. HID will in general give you a better penetration capability at a sacrifice of coverage. CFL's can give a nice even light output to the canopy from multiple sources at the cost of penetration. Thats all assuming you were running the same wattage (600w from CFL to 600w HID).

Since your space is taller than it is wide that HPS should do nicely to maximize it.

If my maths are correct 80cm = 2.62feet. So 600w over 6.8ish square feet should give you about 88w a square foot! Thats a lot of light haha

yeah, your maths is good, although at this moment it is running at 440w until the extraction fan arrives and I can crank it up to 600w again; I'm after quality rather than quantity tbh

Back
Top Bottom