MS Sufferer Defends Drug; Cannabis Helped Me Walk

Truth Seeker

A MAN caught with cannabis resin at his home told police he used the drug to combat his multiple sclerosis, a court heard.

Robert Gartside, 33, of Rutland Avenue, Sefton Park, Liverpool, denies being in possession of cannabis.

Desmond Lennon, prosecuting at Liverpool crown court, said that at 9am on July 1 last year police went to Gartside's flat and found 14 grammes of cannabis resin and three cannabis cigarettes in the house.

There they saw a one inch block of cannabis resin in a saucer. Two smaller blocks were on a tray.

Told he was being arrested, Gartside replied: "It's medicinal.

I've got MS."

Mr Lennon told the court: "The prosecution would have every sympathy with his condition.

But as the law presently stands the fact that he suffers from multiple sclerosis does not provide him with any defence for being in possession of cannabis."

Sgt Neil Ruddock told the court that when questioned about the scales, Gartside said:

"I try to use a gramme a day. I buy a month's supply of cannabis at a time.

"I have been in a wheelchair three times in the last 10 years.

"Cannabis greatly helps my mobility. It stops my muscles from stiffening up. I do not regard it as a misuse of drugs.

"Trials are going on to test the use of cannabis in the treatment of multiple sclerosis.

"I use cannabis medicinally and socially. I do not use alcohol.

"The effects of cannabis are very benign when you compare it with alcohol."

Gartside, who is representing himself in court, asked Sgt Ruddock, in cross-examination, if he had had to deal with more incidents of violence involving alcohol than cannabis.

Sgt Ruddock replied: "I agree alcohol causes a great deal more problems than cannabis." (Proceeding)

Source: MS SUFFERER DEFENDS DRUG; CANNABIS HELPED ME WALK. - Free Online Library

Back
Top Bottom