MT: Medical Marijuana Ruling Impacts Cancer Patients

Robert Celt

Dorothy Solyst was diagnosed with breast cancer 19 years ago. For 18 of those years, she never considered medical marijuana an option, until this past summer.

"At one point in my life, I would have never said I would be taking it, because I have 2 grown sons, well, that's a thing a mother thinks about. But the relief that I've been getting from that has been so worth it."

According to the cancer support community, medical marijuana relieves the pain or nausea caused by cancer treatments and radiation. However, there is some opposition. Recently, the Montana Supreme Court upheld a 2011 law passed through the Montana legislature. Limiting medical marijuana providers to only 3 patients each.

Steve Zabawa director of Safe Montana, an organization trying to outlaw all marijuana use in the state of Montana, agrees with the court ruling.

"The green card system is broke, most people call it a joke and then there has been so much recreation going through it"

Zabawa says he is for medical marijuana but argues people are abusing the system. Zabawa wants the federal government to get involved to test the drug and have marijuana distributed in what he says is the right way.

"It needs to be tested and measured and distributed through the normal medicine protocol. Which is our pharmacies and regular doctors."

Using the drug for almost a year, Solsyt noticed the pain has disappeared. She feels she is able to do much more than without the drug. With this ruling coming into play however, Solyst is concerned for what lies ahead not just her, but everyone who uses medical marijuana.

"Something needs to be done. I just know that I want to keep the quality of life that I started to find again. I don't want to lose it, and I am not alone."

MMJ_Rx3.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Author: Josh Mitchell
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom