My First Indoor Grow, Please Critic And Help

giannid

So this is my first indoor grow. I've grown a little bit outside but not much so I'm learning.

For the plants, I've got two power plants female, one auto sour diesel, two female critical mass, two skunk, and one white widow. Trying to get two more started but having problem with my seeds. I'm in 3 gallon fabric pots, with a mixture of 33% each of happy frog, manure/compost and perlite. The plants are about 2 weeks old.

My grow room is a rather odd setup but seems to be working fine. It's winter here in Michigan so it's cold out. The room is in a heated building that is only set for 44 degrees F. My room is a little smaller than 4 by 4 and build from foil coated insulation board. I have a baseboard heater that keeps the room at a minimum of 62 degrees. I also have supplemental heat from a duct I tied into the furnace but it doesn't blow very hard. It does push some fresh air into the box which I think is good. The box is virtually sealed other than the hole cut for the cords and regular leaks. I have a 6 inch fan with a carbon filter that turns on at 80 degrees to keep it from getting too hot. Using a sun system lec 315 with a 3100 bulb that's set for 18 hours on, 6 off for know. They are about 14 inches off the plants.

All seems to be going good for know. I'm giving the plants about a quart of water twice a week. Don't plan on using any nutes until first week of flower and I'll be using mega crop and might add there pk booster after a few weeks of flower. So far I've been using distilled and spring water but am going to have to shift to well water or melted snow as I don't want to keep buying water when I need over 10 gallons of water a week. Got some PH drops but I'm probably not going to test ph unless I start having problems.

My plan is to get 4 or 5 weeks of veg than switch to flower. My plants have to be done by mid April in this area. The autoflower was just thrown into the mix as I got the seed for free. I know it's not going to thrive with the photo light schedule but I figured I'd try it. The Autoflower almost looks like it's starting to flower a bit. I'll have to keep an eye on it as I don't know the sex of it. Also, the WW and skunk are not feminized either. I'm thinking of doing a scrog with this grow since the area is so small. I don't know anything about pruning or a scrog so I'll have to do some research.

I'm probably going to top the plants today so I can do some lst in a week or so before I flip to flower.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

IMG-0300.JPG

plant1.jpg

Today I lightly topped/fimed all the plants. Also rearranged the plants and put all of the known ladies in the back. Sour diesel auto flower is up front as I'll be able to make sex out soon. Looks like a female to me but I'll wait another week or so to make sure.

They look good. What are your concerns? You mentioned having trouble with your seeds...how?

I have grown in a similar insulated box like yours (mine was 2" but in a GH that could get down to 20F). My main concern was retaining heat, and I ran autos expressly because a light that is on for 18 hours a day worked best for my conditions. I am currently in a space where temps are a constant 50F and I also strive to retain the heat from my lamps. I also use large germinating heat mats underneath the plants to add heat to the 1) roots and 2) tent. Cannabis really does best in the range of 70-90F.

I was trying for 9 plants but couldn't get another seed to start. Too late now so I'm off with 8 plants which is plenty for my area. I'll be happy to finish with 4 or 5 plants out of this grow with a small yield. This is more of a test grow than anything. My building that I have them growing in is climate controlled to 45 degrees or so.

My main concern right now is trying to figure out if I should scrog, LST, or just let them grow on their own. I've got just over 5 feet before they hit the light. I also only have another 2 weeks of veg maximum, maybe less. I just don't think I can really get a scrog going while in veg as it'll be tough to water/feed, and I still have to get the boys out of there. I've never done a scrog or lst but everything I've read says they need to be done in veg.

Plants were lightly topped/ fimmed today so I'm not sure if I should do anything yet while I wait for them to recover.

Carbon filter is in there to not stink up the whole shop. I don't exhaust anything outside and just let it blow in the shop. I imagine I may have to add another filter later on to just scrub the air inside and let it run nonstop. Right now the fan just kicks on to cool the room down.

Right now, my temperature varies to about 63 degrees during lights of to 83 degrees with lights on.

I was trying for 9 plants but couldn't get another seed to start. Too late now so I'm off with 8 plants which is plenty for my area.
You will definitely fill up that space :)
My main concern right now is trying to figure out if I should scrog, LST, or just let them grow on their own.
I LSR most of my tent grows, and you can start that now or even later...they are at the right size (and you can do it immediately before/after/during topping/fimming) I prefer using pipe cleaners and you can strip off one of the ends and punch through the fabric pot lip (I'll try to dig up a photo). Then just pull down/out on the branch and keep that process updated/adjusted throughout the grow.
Carbon filter is in there to not stink up the whole shop.
You say "stink", I say "fragrance"!;)
Right now, my temperature varies to about 63 degrees during lights of to 83 degrees with lights on.
Keeping them warm will definitely improve your grow/yield. 83F is optimal. How is your RH? Temp control will become more of challenge when you go to 12/12 since (I assume) you get a lot of heat from that light. The heating pads work great for me...they are like radiate heaters for the soil/root mass and also add another 5-8F to the tent, which I needed.

If you can show me a picture of your lsr method with pipe cleaners, I would appreciate it. I think that would be better as I can do it now and easily deal with the males latter. The scrog will definitely complicate things for me.

Do you think my temperature is a problem? I do have a baseboard heater in there that'll keep the temperature where I need it. Also, the furnace blows some warm air in there which also helps with air exchange. My big concern is the more that baseboard heater works, the dryer it gets in there. Just the way electric heat is. My RH is low, at about 35 to 40 percent. I imagine it's going to get dryer through the winter as it gets colder outside. Doesn't seem to be bothering the plants now. I water them twice a week and try to spray them with a water bottle every day. Also have a bucket of water in there to help with humidity. Figure as it evaporates, it adds humidity. Really don't want to deal with a humidifier. Weed grows fine outside in Arizona, Right? Lol

Yes, temps are important ...I have learned the hard way...once you get it dialed in, your RH will also stabilize. You want them higher (overall) versus lower. I have run summer grows in temps up to 100F no problem. As long as they get a break below 75F they're fine. Trial and error is your friend, so just keep tweaking it until it gets where you want it (and then you'll have a better idea of how to adjust when you change to 12/12 schedule). Here is a pic of LST using pipe cleaners in fabric pots....(in this pic I used green floral wire punched through the fabric and used those as anchor points for the pipe cleaners)

That baseboard heater don't glow when on does it?
Everything looks great I don't scrog.
Ive got plants going in and out my flower tent at different times.
All of them different heights I keep every one even with soda and milk crates.
I lst,top,supercrop I pound on them,mine go in flower around 60-70 or more vegg.
My ladies get big peace out

No it doesn't glow. It's a baseboard heater for a home. I hardwired it with a thermostat. They're made so they won't ignite anything but still put out some heat. Believe this one is 400 watts. We have some upstairs in my home. The kids like to push stuff right up against them. I'm constantly telling my wife they shouldn't do that but they don't seem like they get hot enough to ignite anything.

Thanks for the pick Blew. That gives me an ideal.

Basic but functional You’re off to a great start. Ladies are looking great. Subbed.

You have to struggle with cold issues while some of us are battling heat issues at the very same time...;)

Here to help as I can...

Cold really isn't an issue with the heater in there. It'll cook that room out if I want it to. Problem is it will kill all the humidity in there and make it way to dry in that tiny room. That's why I let it come down to 63 with lights off. The plants don't seem to mind it. I could bump the lights off temperature up a bit but I'm not sure it will help or hurt it. Thing that bugs me the most is it uses more power to run that baseboard heater than the lights. Autoflower would be ideal for that room, I just don't think the bud is a s good from the stuff I've had.

A picture from today after doing some minor topping/Fiming. Also moved some things around.

Keep them comments/advice coming. I need it!
3377C327-961B-409A-AA54-02A5DA6864AB.jpeg
Didn't want to do too much as I've never done it before and I don't want to hurt anything.

Problem is it will kill all the humidity in there and make it way to dry in that tiny room.
Forced/heated air will def drop the RH and, as you say, costs a lot to run. This is the heating pad I use 24/7...doesn't affect my RH at all, very effective by keeping the root ball a constant temp, which is more important than actual air temp.

A picture from today after doing some minor topping/Fiming. Also moved some things around. Keep them comments/advice coming. I need it!
Didn't want to do too much as I've never done it before and I don't want to hurt anything.

Personally I would let them grow out for another week or so before LST....I like my branches a little longer...easier to get the angle w/o risk of snapping a branch. Overall, they look good.

I honestly don't think the heating pad would give me enough heat in that room. The ones I seen were pretty low wattage. I was looking at them but decided to go with the baseboard because I think it would do a better job. I'm sure it keeps the 3 pots right next to it warm. Seems like the plants away on the far side of the heater were doing just as good though but they are a highbred stevia-powerplant. I expect them to grow faster.

I'm not going to do any lst for a week I imagine. Just topped them and I want to give them some time.

I read that you want the fan blowing on the plants to keep them shaking for stem strength. Maybe I'll get another blower in there with a carbon filter and use that to blow the air from the top back down.

I honestly don't think the heating pad would give me enough heat in that room.
When I built my box I couldn't get it warm enough...I wanted to use the heat from the light only...after many fails I realized I could just make the box smaller...I raised the floor 24" which meant the plants were that much closer to the ceiling and the heat...it worked.
I read that you want the fan blowing on the plants to keep them shaking for stem strength
Warm plants take priority over strong stems, plus you just turn the fan on high and any resulting movement on the plants will give you the desired stem effect. Just consider that all heat sitting up in the ceiling...you paid for it, so might as well use it.

Ideally, I think the time to bring that heat down would be at lights off. Probably pretty easy to do. I'll probably give it a whirly when I'm in flower. Thanks for all your help.

Well I did some super cropping last week and some LST. This week is my final week of veg and will flip them on 11/26. Plants are looking a little rough in the picture as I was working on them in the 45 degree shop. Seems lie the 3 gallon pots only take about a quart of water before it starts coming out of the bottom of the pot and I'm watering twice a week. Yesterday was the first time I added any nutes to the water. Started out with one teaspoon of megacrop in 4 gallons of water. Ph was a little low at 5 so I added some PH up to bring the water to 6. Haven't Ph'ed any of the water I've been watering with as it's all been melted snow or spring water.

My sour diesel autoflower is flowering pretty good. It's not feminized but definitely looks like a girl with the white hairs. Pics Included.IMG-0322.JPGIMG-0323.JPGIMG-0324.JPG

Back
Top Bottom