My marijuana legalization idea

Roadie Man

I posted this idea on another forum and got a lot of ideas and feedback whats your ideas.

I've had this idea of legalizing pot that would help the government and help the war on the real bad drugs. If the gavoernment were to legalize marijuana, grow and sell it themselves it would cut the war on drugs in half.
My idea-
1. a) Legalizing pot is like owning a car. The government could make you pay $50/month for a license to smoke pot and you would have to be 21. When the month license is up you have to get another one.
b) They would have to take personal information about you such as phone, address, soc. sec., and etc. so they would have your name on registry, sort of like what they do with urchasing a gun.
2. They would only allow you to but so many a bags a week, like 3 - 1/8 a week. When you would go purchase some they would put in the computers when, where, and how much you bought so they have it on record. So if you bought your allowed amount you couldn't go back and get more.
3. a)To stop normal civilians selling weed the gov't could sell an 1/8 at $25-30. This would make it pointless for pot dealers to keep selling pot it would put them out of buisness. One problem solved.
b) Because pot would be so cheap and legal drugees(not potheads) would stop using harder drugs and just stick to pot. Two problems solved.
4. With all this extra money coming into the gov't the taxpayers won't be paying for the war on drugs no more because the gov't would have enough money from pot sales to use it to stop use and sales of harsher drugs and stop non-gov't funded pot being soled and consumed.
---------
If the gov't was smart they would do this because it would have more money and it would be hard for young kids to get there hands on pot because with a limited supply not too many people would want to give their bags up. So for young people who want marijuana to be legalized, it's almost better it doesn't get legalized. (Legal, Cheaper) Money vs Quanity (A holottaweed, possesion tickets/jail)
Please post comments on my idea or different (logical) ideas to make marijuana legal.

Re: My !!realistic!! marijuana legalization idea

just change that 50 a month to a 10 and you might be on to something. But why pay monthly if you're already buying from them and why make the Gov't the only acceptable contact for weed what if you want to grow your own. Can't they just tax your sales or something. Don't give them full control like that that's what they think they have now.

I understand us smokers want the gov't to have complete control, but that is the only way they probably would have it. To have marijuana legalized you must have a lot of compromise and think about the othersides(gov't) point of view.

That is a really complicated idea, too many number and still too many restrictions. I'd like to see weed legalized because of how much safer it is in comparison to tobacco and alcohol. I like where you're going, but its a bit complex,especially for the common smoker.

You couldn't really control how much someone could buy when it can be easily grown yourself. That is something that shouldn't be controlled and is not approached in your idea. Making it legal to grow and sharing that information openly is what will help kill the marijuana black market.

The government doesn't need to know any more about me. Like gun registration many people wouldn't register; I wouldn't. This would then still make them/me criminals in the eyes of the government.

Although your approach seems novel it is a little too idealistic to work I think. Think about the registering process. Maybe that could be applied as a license sort of like fishing or hunting season. Instead of a license to smoke have a license to grow annually with the option to buy. If you don't want to grow then there is no need for a license. Like fishing, if you like doing it catch your own fish. If not go buy it from a store. Most people wouldn't be adverse to a $150 fee for a grow license per year upon legalization. (Though I enjoy growing for free right now with next to no risk).

Could you imagine going to a farmer's market where there were marijuana vendors next to the vegetable vendors. That would be a beautiful thing :dreamy: .

giant buds sprawled out over all the tables. Emmmm Good Thaught!

The gov won't lealize these sorts of drugs because too many people would get rich

OldBongMan said:
^This is a waste of white space is you ask me...Dream on when it comes to this idea...
I think you're right . But I often wonder why the feds would keep up trying to regulate a plant . Too many people out there can grow whatever they want . They can't catch us all . VIVA LA MARYJANE ! !:smokin:

I like the licence idea, and I've believed for a long time that there should already be alcohol licences. I'm not so down on the idea of paying a licence fee, but think of it. If someone fucked up with alcohol and drove drunk and hit a kid or something, his licence would be forever suspended. So then he could never again legally buy alcohol. That would stop the problem-makers from continuing to buy alcohol (legally), so he would have a much harder time drinking, and then the problem-makers wouldn't be making alcohol problems anymore.

MJ should be the same way. You fuck up, you lose your licence.

I think that it might be too hard for the gov to regulate it because it is so easy to grow.Plus the DEA would lose that big budget if weed became legal since 85% of their bust is weed related.Its just to easy for the gov to keep it illegal than legal.I hate to say it but mj will not be legal for recreational use in my lifetime but there is still a chance for the med people.

You have to understand if it is legal it wont compare to the street goods the THC would be less they would not allow people to to smoke then drive

hmmm $50 a month to have a smokin license, im cool. thats 600 bucks a year to the government then we were limited to how much we can buy? wtf how bout we jus continue what were doing now? lol or like theoldguy said, sell it like alky. problems solved.

urdedpal said:
I think that it might be too hard for the gov to regulate it because it is so easy to grow..
I think it would be easier for the government to regulate, think of the regulation you have over tobacco and alcohol. It is human nature to find the easiest way to do something, while I'm sure plenty of people would grow their own I think the majority would settle on buying it at their local convience store, I know it would be easier to do that than to buy from a grower who has to charge more to compensate for the money lost on lights and such (I would buy from the grower personally because of health issues and big tobacco mentality)

spankyhaze said:
You have to understand if it is legal it wont compare to the street goods the THC would be less they would not allow people to to smoke then drive
I disagree, you wouldn't necessarily have the best "store-bought" buds... at first. but the growers out there would be more free to find better strain crosses because the no longer have to worry about getting caught. These in turn could be offered to the new corporations as stronger buds which they'll sell more of. I'm sure that the corporations would want to get ahold of cannabis cup seeds every year.

I think smoking and driving regulations are fine. I know that people tend to drive better when high and feel better about getting in a car with someone whose high then someone whose been drinking, but any substance that could influence the way you drive increases the chances of getting into an accident. Even drinking too much caffine has shown to effect the way people drive. I would just feel better knowing that weed being legal like alcohol would have the same regulations on driving as alcohol.

If we followed the original dictation of this post and gave complete control to the Gov't then we would likely see a decrease in THC content. There's too much money and politics involved in the marijuana culture to ever allow the federal gov't the right. I don't mind sharing the wealth with them if it gets them out of my pocket for other things but when it comes down to overall control of a drug I'm afraid to see what their regulations would lead too. If it was up to them mary jane would allready be extinct.

Kittyloaf said:
Just a note:

You can very easily make your own alco-bevs.

So the "well, you can grow your own" argument's moot.

Haven't any of you guys ever had home-brewed beer? I've been brewing for 2 years- loving every second of it.

How is it moot? You basically proved my point by saying you brew your own beer. Just like most of my friends make their own wine. That can't be controlled.

I now grow my own weed. AND that is why the original point of this post is unrealistic. If it was legal it couldn't be controlled.

:nomo: I haven't even had my coffee yet. I can't think anymore.

Back
Top Bottom