NDP MPs Call For Fairness For Marc Emery

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Libby Davies and 12 of her NDP Colleagues sent the following letter to Canada's Public Safety Minister, calling for action to ensure Marc Emery can serve his sentence in Canada.

The Honourable Vic Toews
Minister of Public Safety
House of Commons
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A6

Dear Minister Toews,

I write to urge you to take all necessary steps to ensure the timely transfer of Canadian Marc Emery from the United States to Canada so that he may serve his prison sentence nearer family, friends and supporters.

In May, 2009, your government took a rare and unnecessary step and extradited a Canadian citizen to serve a prison sentence in the US for actions that are not worthy of prosecution under Canadian laws.

Since then, the prosecutor in Mr. Emery’s case has since denounced the ruling against Mr. Emery saying "As Emery's prosecutor and a former federal law-enforcement official, however, I'm not afraid to say out loud what most of my former colleagues know is true: Our marijuana policy is dangerous and wrong and should be changed through the legislative process to better protect the public safety."

At his sentencing, the U.S. District Court Judge Ricardo Martinez recommended that Mr. Emery be allowed to serve his time in a Canadian prison.

I understand that there is a necessary process involved in the transfer of Mr. Emery to Canada. However, I call on you to agree in principle to Mr. Emery’s transfer and to ensure that the process of his transfer is undertaken at the first possible opportunity.

Sincerely,

Libby Davies, MP Vancouver East
Alex Atamanenko, MP BC Southern Interior
Jean Crowder, MP Nanaimo-Cowichan
Don Davies, MP Vancouver-Kingsway
Paul Dewar, MP Ottawa-Centre
Yvon Godin, MP Acadie-Bathurst
Jack Harris, MP St. John’s East
Bruce Hyer, MP Thunder Bay- Superior North
Peter Julian, MP Burnaby-New Westminster
Megan Leslie, MP Halifax
Jim Maloway, MP Elmwood-Transcona