Nebraska: Petition to Start New Marijuana Political Party

Jacob Redmond

Several supporters for the legalization of medical marijuana are traveling across the state to unite people under a new political party.

"It obviously helps children with cerebral palsy with the epilepsy. It's something that is needed," said York supporter Josh Packard.

They stood along the streets of York Sunday afternoon, rallying drivers and passersby to sign their petition to start the Marijuana Party of Nebraska.

"I'm upset. I'm sick of waiting," said petition organizer Mark Elworth Jr. "At my point, I should do everything in my power to get to everybody to let them know that we're serious, and this is just an avenue that I think that's going to stick them right in the gut."

Elworth started the petition back in April when he knew the medical marijuana bill wouldn't be passed through the legislature. He needs 5,500 signatures to create his own party and currently has a little more than 3,000.

"Some people think, 'Oh, he just wants to legalize weed.' No, I'm trying to make our state better. I want young people to stay in our state. I want the money to stay here, and I want our patients to stay here. I want everybody to be healthy," said Elworth. "I don't want people on 10 pills. I want people on one plant, not 10 pills."

However, not everyone is in support of the bill, making their arguments clear at Sunday's rally.

"The bill is..." started York Leighton Fortner who is against medical marijuana's legalization.

"It's not going to legalize it. It's going to legalize it for them, but for everybody else that doesn't have a prescription for it, it will be a felony just like another controlled substance," finished York resident Mariah Kaiser who is also against medical marijuana's legalization.

Kaiser and Fortner say many supporters like Elworth don't know enough about the bill, and they believe the state just doesn't need it.

"I think the state runs itself just fine. Everything is done. We push these things. This is one of those sneak in attacks, or at least I feel it is," said Fortner.

But all Elworth wants is more support, and he will continue to ask for more signatures as he travels through the state.

15709.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Petition to Start New Marijuana Political Party
Author: Anastasia Champ
Photo Credit: NBCNEB

Back
Top Bottom