Need for (medical) seed!

JollyDolly

Hi, I hope I can get a little advice here.

My mother is elderly, with a chronic pain condition, and despite medical marijuana laws on the books in Colorado, her county has opted to enforce the federal laws still on the books. My mother is frail, and the last thing I want is for her to become a test case for some gung-ho top cop's ideological agenda.

Despite her frailty and the pain, my mother is an avid and accomplished gardener. If she puts it in the ground, the bugger grows. She can kill any house plant known to man, but give her a seed and a patch of ground and you'll get a plant that grows and thrives. She has agreed to grow, provided I can find the seeds.

What I am looking for is a strain similar to the homegrown she'd smoke in the seventies - she admitted that she used to smoke for migraines, but that she has not smoked since 198 or so. Keeping in mind that this is literally a 98lb little old lady with severe nerve pain, inflammation and muscle spasm, what could you more experienced folk recommend?

The strain needs to be very cold hardy, not water-intensive, and not overly stinky when growing - she has one nosy self-righteous bitch of a neighbor. The high needs to be mild enough so that she can function around the house and garden, and get good rest. Giving her the munchies would be a wonderful thing, too, as the pain really saps her appetite.

I'm looking at Blueberry and PK2, just a gentle, lower-THC, high for a lady who really needs a break. What strain should I get?

Probably a sativa dominant strain, bubble gum maybe or a bubbleberry, blueberry is not all that gentle.. but what is now a days?

Cannabis Ruderalis might intrest you too... its a low thc autoflowering plant, that is pretty easy to grow, I believe ruderalis helps more with inflammations aswell. I know you can't clone lowrider so it has to come in seeds.
:peace:

Probably a sativa dominant strain, bubble gum maybe or a bubbleberry, blueberry is not all that gentle.. but what is now a days?

Cannabis Ruderalis might intrest you too... its a low thc autoflowering plant, that is pretty easy to grow, I believe ruderalis helps more with inflammations aswell. I know you can't clone lowrider so it has to come in seeds.
:peace:

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I'll keep an eye out for Bubblegum and Bubbleberry, and hunt up some of the Ruderalis. One of the things that concerns her most is being able to function, she has the chronic pain, but also has very mild Parkinsons.

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I'll keep an eye out for Bubblegum and Bubbleberry, and hunt up some of the Ruderalis. One of the things that concerns her most is being able to function, she has the chronic pain, but also has very mild Parkinsons.

= = = = = = =>>>> Hi there! In the late 1970's and early 1980's, there was Skunk #1 and I believe it was either a Sativa or a hybrid of Sativa/Indica. Sativas grow tall and takes longer to grow than Indicas. It tends to be an up type of high whereas Indicas tend to be a seditive/relaxant. What has her Dr. diagnosed her with?? Do some searches on those conditions - as it would help to be aware of what might help her. =Judy=

= = = = = = =>>>> Hi there! In the late 1970's and early 1980's, there was Skunk #1 and I believe it was either a Sativa or a hybrid of Sativa/Indica. Sativas grow tall and takes longer to grow than Indicas. It tends to be an up type of high whereas Indicas tend to be a seditive/relaxant. What has her Dr. diagnosed her with?? Do some searches on those conditions - as it would help to be aware of what might help her. =Judy=

She has post-shingles pain - the varicella erupted along nerve paths rather than on the skin. There's nerve damage, inflammation and spasm though her face and jaw - she has to sleep with a mouthpiece and the spasm makes her feel disfigured. She also has a very minor case of Parkinsons - mild tremor, and occasional balance problems. Of course, there's also the depression that goes with having one's body go kerflooey, and the pain, and the unwillingness of docs to understand the difference between being depressed because you are sick and being sick because you're depressed.

I found 'Early Sativa' over at Kind Seeds, and might look into that. It seems to be nice and mild.

speed queen perhaps?

I was thinking of Kind Seeds' 'Early Sativa' - it seems to be mild enough for Mom to still function and a quick grower.

I feel for you and your grandma, and respect what you are doing. I had a doctor leave a nerve hanging out of my foot and then stitched over it, and have suffered because of his mistake for a long time. Personally I have found Northern Lights works great for the pain. I grew them in CT which also has early cold spells and for the most part it's a hardy plant that's easy for a first time grow. You might have some luck with our 420 Magazine - Sponsors who sell a wide variety of seeds. Good Luck.

I feel for you and your grandma, and respect what you are doing. I had a doctor leave a nerve hanging out of my foot and then stitched over it, and have suffered because of his mistake for a long time. Personally I have found Northern Lights works great for the pain. I grew them in CT which also has early cold spells and for the most part it's a hardy plant that's easy for a first time grow. You might have some luck with our 420 Magazine - Sponsors who sell a wide variety of seeds. Good Luck.

Thanks. It's been really rough. When you're the middle-aged kid taking care of an elderly parent far away, there are just a shitload of issues that come up and catch you flatfooted. We're talking over strains and such now - she's an avid gardener and can grow damn near anything. She can't tell me much about what she used to smoke when I was a kid in the seventies, just that it had a nice, relaxing effect, and she could function with it.

as you are from the LA Metro area, I suggest anything Kush. Kush is a good, all around, usually indica dominant, sometimes sativa, strain, that will help with anything. I've broken 192 bones, 5 concussions, 43 rods, 12 plates and i have Chrons Disease. Im a life time advocate of kush, it helps with all pains and nausea, where other strains haven't. If your mother is elder and frail, I suggest a vaporizor. They have auto feed and ones you inhale, very simple, i can operate mine on my worst arthritis days.

This might answer the questions on older ganja...The Mexican marijuana that you purchased 40 years ago had different
qualities than the Humboldt green you bought this year. First, the marijuana
you recently purchased had very little waste, perhaps a few stems.
The Mexican marijuana was seeded and they weighed between one half
and two thirds of the lb., so a lb. of useable weed would have cost you
between $250-375.
The quality of marijuana has improved over the years as well. Medium
grade Mexican usually had a THC content of 2-5%. High-grade had a
content of 7%. Modern high quality marijuana has a THC content of 12-
18%, about double the content of old high quality marijuana. So equalizing
the cost of the two purchases based on equalizing THC content, the
cost of the old marijuana was actually $500-750 per lb.
Now we must deal with 40 years of inflation. According to US Bureau of
Labor Statistics inflation has increased 515.25%over the past 40 years.
So taking the more conservative estimate of $500 for a pound of useable
marijuana and multiplying it by 515.25% the cost in real dollars today for
that 40 year old Mexican actually was priced at $3076.25 in real dollars,
or about what you paid for your last purchase of high quality. Meanwhile,
that Mexican pot, somewhat improved through better breeding and care,
now sells for about $1,500, so it’s a bargain. -Ed Rosenthal

Our strain guide might help you make a decision: 420 Magazine's Cannabis Strain Guide. Also, take a look at our 420 Sponsors page. Our sponsors offer descriptions on the various strains which might be helpful to you.

If your mom has nosy neighbors, she might want to consider growing indoors.

I hope your mom finds a strain that she is comfortable with :rollit:.

as you are from the LA Metro area, I suggest anything Kush. Kush is a good, all around, usually indica dominant, sometimes sativa, strain, that will help with anything. I've broken 192 bones, 5 concussions, 43 rods, 12 plates and i have Chrons Disease. Im a life time advocate of kush, it helps with all pains and nausea, where other strains haven't. If your mother is elder and frail, I suggest a vaporizor. They have auto feed and ones you inhale, very simple, i can operate mine on my worst arthritis days.

Holy Cats, Kushkartel, that's awful! I'm in Los Angeles, but Mom's in the mountains of Colorado - how does it do in a USDA zone 3 or 4?

This might answer the questions on older ganja...The Mexican marijuana that you purchased 40 years ago had different
qualities than the Humboldt green you bought this year. First, the marijuana
you recently purchased had very little waste, perhaps a few stems.
The Mexican marijuana was seeded and they weighed between one half
and two thirds of the lb., so a lb. of useable weed would have cost you
between $250-375.
The quality of marijuana has improved over the years as well. Medium
grade Mexican usually had a THC content of 2-5%. High-grade had a
content of 7%. Modern high quality marijuana has a THC content of 12-
18%, about double the content of old high quality marijuana. So equalizing
the cost of the two purchases based on equalizing THC content, the
cost of the old marijuana was actually $500-750 per lb.
Now we must deal with 40 years of inflation. According to US Bureau of
Labor Statistics inflation has increased 515.25%over the past 40 years.
So taking the more conservative estimate of $500 for a pound of useable
marijuana and multiplying it by 515.25% the cost in real dollars today for
that 40 year old Mexican actually was priced at $3076.25 in real dollars,
or about what you paid for your last purchase of high quality. Meanwhile,
that Mexican pot, somewhat improved through better breeding and care,
now sells for about $1,500, so it's a bargain. -Ed Rosenthal

Hmm. I have not smoked in some time - I prefer to make a pan of brownies. Mom has tried a puff of the modern stuff and found it way too strong, but did admit that some of the old weed she remembers was weak enough that she might have managed a better high by smoking oregano. We're hunting the happy medium - pain relief and cognitive function.

I wish modern weed did come seeded, I have a nice sunny patio.

well, the city or even county would be helpful to fully answer the question to your needs. Or at least the elevation of her city. I hear the air in there can determine ALOT with quality/quantity....

well, the city or even county would be helpful to fully answer the question to your needs. Or at least the elevation of her city. I hear the air in there can determine ALOT with quality/quantity....

A smidge over 5000 feet?

well, wHaT I sAy dOnt MeaN sH*t hEre...LiztEn to One Of thEze GuYz...PeAce 420 mag....

GrOw SomE kUsh...yOu WonT be DissApoInTed...iF itS tOo sTrOng..teLL hEr To SmOkE LeSS...

Damn Kush, you a little sensitive today... I live here, I grow here, I know people that grow indoors and outdoors here. I don't know what to tell you, but the plants love the altitude....

Back
Top Bottom