Need help with building carbon filter.. I'm a new grower

Jeeztatted

I'm a new grower and I have a question about making a carbon filter for my grow box.

I just built my grow box. It's 4 1/2 ft tall and 2 ft wide. For such a small grow box I feel like I can make my own carbon filter instead of buying a $40+ filter from the store.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a carbon filter ? I've been looking up some videos on YouTube but I just want to make sure I know what im doing.

And do I need a air duct to put the filter in? I don't think I do cuz the box is so small. Can I just hang the filter and attach the exuast fan to it ?

Also what type of fan will remove the air from the box at a high rate. But not to big so that it takes up to much space.

Picture and instructions would be great.

Please help, anyone info will be used.

I'm designing a 7' tall box, the side walls of which each have 4" of sealed usable space to be used for ducting and moving air in specified directions. To better describe, you can imagine it like this;

|<-4"->|<---------------------------------30"------------------------------------->|<-4"->|

The wall on the left is for inlet air, the wall on the right is for outlet air. Each wall is subdivided front to back, and the rear portion of the inlet wall I will further subdivide into top and bottom. In that top space I plan to have a snake or maze pattern with a louvered/screen 4" hole on bottom right and top left of that upper/rear portion. within that maze I plan to fill completely with activated carbon to have a built in inline filter that will actively draw air from the grow area, up through the gauntlet of carbon and piped into the utility area through a small blower fan before exhausted through the outlet wall. I have outdated design pictures in my gallery to give you a general idea, but all of that was before I learned I can't successfully pull 280 cfm of air through a 47 cfm over priced filter. I expect to have my plans completely finalized inside a week complete with exact dimensions and a price list for every material needed for the entire project.

My only hang up now is finding a 5 gallon bucket of activated carbon to fill the 1170 cubic inches of space in that gauntlet. Anyone know a good dealer? All previous links I've found go to sites that are out of stock.

I have since found what I'm looking for and here are some links and information;
20 LBs for air scrubbing - Amazon: 20 Lb Activated Carbon Large Air Phase Pellets Coarse for Air Scrubber - $72.95
20 LBs for water filtration - 20 lbs Premier Activated Carbon for Aquarium Pond Reef | eBay - $45.90

Cross referencing, I've found that 2 gallons = 7 LBs which means 1 gallon = 3.5 LBs. So my 5 gallons is roughly 17.5 LBs and 20 LBs is almost 6 gallons. There are 231 cubic inches per gallon, times 20 = 4620 cubic inches. My design requires me to know all that, but many other bucket type designs don't really need that much detail. But hell, I found it, so now it's yours.

aeroponics - I am new Alot of question please help

Here's a link to an earlier post that has the correct pictures. Look at the greyed area in one of the walls. Positive pressure from the inlet fan fills the grow chamber and thus begins to feed into the lower of the green holes. Just outside of the upper green hole (in my utility area) I will have a slightly stronger inline fan to further aid in drawing the air through the maze of activated carbon. I will likely line the walls with some kind of plastic to prevent moisture and the odor of the wood from contaminating the carbon cuz that stuff's pretty expensive. Anyway, hope this helps or gives you ideas.

Back
Top Bottom