Carbon filter on the end of a exhaust fan?

cross1420

hey guys, so i want to put something together for the smell outside of my house. I run my exhaust fan so that it pulls air through a carbon then through my hood and then out my window. I'm at the end of my first harvest and it smells so good in the front of my house which isn't the best thing. But i can't have the smell constantly so i need to fix this problem before my next grow.

So what i had in mind was building a small box that the exhaust can attach to pour some carbon filter in the box and put a screen on the side flush to the window so the air has to scrub one more time before leaving the room. Is this a good idea or is it to much for the fan? Should i just get another fan and a bigger filter? Or can i do the same but instead of carbon use ona? I don't want to waste a bunch of money building something that won't work or will just give me bigger problems. So any help would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Re: carbon filter on the end of a exhaust fan???

I would like to suggest you try the 420mag Search engine.

They are quite few currently active threads on this same matter. Choose one and participate at the level you are comfortable with after reading the thread. You may very well find your answer right there. Most would rather you do that than to start another thread from scratch. I am in several threads already on this subject. Climb on board with us and I will be glad to throw my two cents in.

When you are ready to ask please supply as much info on your setup as you can. like fans and filter types and sizes. Pictures are always a big plus.

:thumb:

As I tried to point out to you, not much help can be offered without information about your setup. Too many variables dude, you are looking for a quick answer to throw some money at otherwise. If that be the case then slap another filter on it. Is it what your problem is? Who knows... you may have anything from a bad install to the wrong choice of equipment. Most systems are fine with what info can be drawn from your post. Are yours up to the job, that remains unknown at this time. It could be as simple as your filter is too darn small.

You are going to have to answer a few questions to get anywhere. Then it's a matter of if you choose to heed any of it. You will get many stabs at your problem if you persist, I am recommending you learn about what you need and then you can choose from the myriad of ways to address the problem within your abilities and budget. You wish to throw money, hey I could use a grow donation or two.

I run my exhaust fan so that it pulls air through a carbon then through my hood and then out my window.

Sounds like you have an air leak between your filter and your fan. This lets the fan suck in bud stench -after- the filter, and blow it out the window. Best guess is the ducting connecting to the hood, or the hood itself. The simplest fix is to put the fan right next to the filter and duct air to the hood and outside. It's easy to seal the filter/fan connection with duct tape, and if the hood leaks air, it will be going into the garden instead of out the window. Any time you have a flexible duct connection, you have a chance of an air leak. All you have to do is manage which direction the leak goes.

I have a 4x4 tent with a 1000 what xxl air cooled hood. 6 in exhaust fan and 6x20 carbon filter in my tent. The tent sits in a 9x9 room and the exhaust is ran out the window. I can't smell much in my house but outside of the window and when you walk up to the house you can really smell it.

All i was asking is if i can put another filter on the end of my exhaust before sending the air out the window to try to help get rid of the smell.

I have a 4x4 tent with a 1000 what xxl air cooled hood. 6 in exhaust fan and 6x20 carbon filter in my tent. The tent sits in a 9x9 room and the exhaust is ran out the window. I can't smell much in my house but outside of the window and when you walk up to the house you can really smell it.

All i was asking is if i can put another filter on the end of my exhaust before sending the air out the window to try to help get rid of the smell.

A simple answer to that simple question is YES you can.

Just may not be the best way to address the problem is what folks are trying to help you with. I dont care for the fan before the light idea because it can have an impact on the negative pressure in the room. I prefer everything in the room to be sucking. If it is escaping my ducting then that is another issue in its self to me. One reason why I keep flex to an absolute minimum in my ventilation work. It can deteriorate with time and leak as well. Seal those joints. I don't care to pay for any more fan or electric than I need.

Sounds to me that you need a larger carbon filter. I have mine set the same as you with the filter attached directly to the fan and from there to the lights and then out the building. There are many ways to set up your venting systems and you will get plenty of advice but most people i know doing this always undersize there charcoal filters and exhaust fans. I actually use a 10" vortex fan with a 12x48 mountain air charcoal filter with a 10" flange for fan mount in a 12X14 room been using this filter for 2yrs now and still have no outside smells. Hope this helps. I am running 4-1000w vented lights.
:smokin:

Sounds to me that you need a larger carbon filter. I have mine set the same as you with the filter attached directly to the fan and from there to the lights and then out the building. There are many ways to set up your venting systems and you will get plenty of advice but most people i know doing this always undersize there charcoal filters and exhaust fans. I actually use a 10" vortex fan with a 12x48 mountain air charcoal filter with a 10" flange for fan mount in a 12X14 room been using this filter for 2yrs now and still have no outside smells. Hope this helps. I am running 4-1000w vented lights.
:smokin:

I suspect you are correct about under sizing. Reason I asked for some specs to avoid guessing. To be truly helpful we need to know what he has and how it is installed.

I will state many oversize as well thinking more is better. You can muscle your air or you can finesse it. I try to keep costs down so I prefer finesse. A big issue by example here is you are running a dual system, Hence the stench and heat don't mix. Makes for a much more effective system as well. Not really comparable to his directly. I see no reason the application shouldn't work in his garden. Something is amiss I think. Hey you throw enough money at anything and it can be made to go away.

Back
Top Bottom