Need help with my PH meter please.

I leave mine a in small jar with water in it about 3"-4" high change and clean with alcohol as needed...IF the end dries out it will Fuck up the probe....

You will want to rinse your meter with DISTILLED water (NOT tap water!) before and after using it, and then you will want to store it in the appropriate, buffered storage solution.

I store mine with some storage solution in the cap, and I don't lay it on its side.

This is essential, because pH meters that are electronic work in water and will get out of calibration fast if they are dry. pH meters work by separating two volumes of water, and then measuring the electrical differential between them, and in reality, they are nothing more than very, very sensitive voltmeters. That is part of the reason why they have to be calibrated often.

Read the manual that came with the meter -- it will direct you as to the appropriate part numbers for the solution you will need.

Also, be sure to order a 4.0 and 7.0 solution bottle for calibration, or your meter will get out of calibration very quickly, and will be useless after that until it is calibrated correctly. A 10.0 pH solution is good too, but most consumer-level meters do not calibrate to three points, so generally you just need to read the manual to see what calibration points your meter is set to use.

I work only in soil, but I have one anyway -- I feel they are essential. I have a TDS meter too, to check my water supply that I feed my ladies. Many people feel these meters are more appropriate for work with hydro, but I don't agree and encourage everyone to know what they are working with by testing it, rather than just guessing.

My pH meter, for example, is from Hanna and calibrates to 7.0 and 4.0, so I ordered those two solutions along with the meter. If it had calibrated to 7.0 and 10.0, my 4.0 pH solution would have been useless, of course... you get the idea.

That's about it, each bottle of solution is about $10 to $15 each, not too bad at all considering they last for a while.

:goodluck:

You will want to rinse your meter with DISTILLED water (NOT tap water!) before and after using it, and then you will want to store it in the appropriate, buffered storage solution.

I store mine with some storage solution in the cap, and I don't lay it on its side.

This is essential, because pH meters that are electronic work in water and will get out of calibration fast if they are dry.

Hey Bud.

You gave some great pointers and tips. I would however disagree with you, respectfully, on the point above. I've been using tap water for storage for about 9 months. As recommended by the tech support department at Milwaukee instruments.

I hadn't done a calibration in about 8 months and someone mentioned this to me the other day, so I did a calibration and she was as rock solid as the day I took out of the box.

Obviously distilled water is so cheap, if it makes you feel more comfortable for storage, then go for it, I just wanted to speak to my experience with regular tap-water.

Have a great night!
Sf

PS. Yes, I love this meter!

Hey Bud.

You gave some great pointers and tips. I would however disagree with you, respectfully, on the point above. I've been using tap water for storage for about 9 months. As recommended by the tech support department at Milwaukee instruments.

I hadn't done a calibration in about 8 months and someone mentioned this to me the other day, so I did a calibration and she was as rock solid as the day I took out of the box.

Obviously distilled water is so cheap, if it makes you feel more comfortable for storage, then go for it, I just wanted to speak to my experience with regular tap-water.

Have a great night!
Sf

PS. Yes, I love this meter!

Wow... really? Cool! I did not know that was possible, I buy * a lot * of distilled water for my misters so I'm always in stock on that, but as far as I understood it, tap water will foul up a meter. But, that was based on limited research, so if I'm wrong that would be great. My meter manual instructed me to rinse it with only distilled H2O, but of course that does not mean that all meters must be treated as such...

Now, I don't know that much about meters, since I don't use them on a daily basis, so I really do appreciate the info, as there is just no substitue for experience! My meter gets out of calibration fast, so I'm always careful with it, but of course it was very cheap, about $50, so I do not expect miracles out of it.

It sounds like you bought an excellent model -- was it particularily expensive? I'd assumed I'd have to spend at least $100 to $200 for a really high quality meter, and since I don't work with hydro set-ups, I don't really have any use for that, so the expense would be pointless, for me, at this time...

:peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom