Need some help? tiny crystals on soil?

Johnny Hemp

just needed verification if this is just solid water deposits left behind from using tap water after it has evaporated...below are some pictures of my plants and the soil notice the "crystal looking substance" is it mold?

and give me advice on the plants as well they are about 2-1/2 weeks old.

dsc03712.jpg

dsc03711.jpg

dsc03710.jpg

dsc03709.jpg

dsc03708.jpg

Water evaporates through the top of your pot.

Hardwater has calcium and magnesium salts in it. Fetrilizers are salts, too.

When water evaporates from the top, all the salts build up and crystalize on the top. It's normal.

When you water with nutrients.. pour enough in to fill up the pot, and let some run out, washing out the old salts that built up in the pot.

Just keep on and read up.

These potters are supposed to be watered from the bottom is that ok or should i still water them from the top?

How do i test the pH just get ph strips and put it in the soil also is it ok if i switch from tap water to distilled?

When testing pH do i test the soil and the water and if testing the soil do i do it when its wet or dry? these are all i need to know and im good.

Also i have a light timer and 4 florescent bulbs that are 75 watts each, hanging so i can lower and raise them as needed.
i have one small one mounted on the side so the plants can get sunlight under the leaves.

The timer is set to go on at 8am off at 2pm all week long is this okay?

Also added two miracle grow spike strips to one of the plants.

when should i change the pot size and how should i go about doing that transplant all the soil or just some of it that is going to be on the roots? ok so i guess i had a bit more i needed to know lol.

Miracle grow is toxic to cannabis and should only be used in a fraction of recomended dose. Read up and grow organic or get some real feed desigined, tested, and used by millions, like Botinacare, or General Hydroponics, or....

Miracle grow is toxic to cannabis and should only be used in a fraction of recomended dose. Read up and grow organic or get some real feed desigined, tested, and used by millions, like Botinacare, or General Hydroponics, or....

it seems to be growing fine and bigger than the rest of the plants

Hey I'm a first timer and I used miracle grow slow release compost. I then read on here not to use it as its really bad, so I was really scared but I then did see some people had also used it and were quite positive so I say don't worry. Whatever works for you may not work for someone else. Check out mine so far, I have some growing naturally and some under false light.

S8300392.JPG

S8300383.JPG

:goodluck:

By the way I also have the crystals on the soil.....I'm sure it'll all bne fine :cool:

You've got a ton of stretch there.. Is it window lit only?

So long as your leaves don't go super, super dark green, you'll be okay. The uber dark-green is the result of nitrogen toxicity. I did that to my last plant.. It'll recover from it, you'll just have to back off the nuets, and it'll stall flowering a good bit.

I know, the window ones are window light only so that is probably the reason for so much stretch. Once the ones in the cupboard flower I may then move them into there and top them. Cheers for the info I will keep my eyes open.

I am learning so much, each grow will get better and better I am sure!

These potters are supposed to be watered from the bottom is that ok or should i still water them from the top?

How do i test the pH just get ph strips and put it in the soil also is it ok if i switch from tap water to distilled?

When testing pH do i test the soil and the water and if testing the soil do i do it when its wet or dry? these are all i need to know and im good.

Also i have a light timer and 4 florescent bulbs that are 75 watts each, hanging so i can lower and raise them as needed.
i have one small one mounted on the side so the plants can get sunlight under the leaves.

The timer is set to go on at 8am off at 2pm all week long is this okay?

Also added two miracle grow spike strips to one of the plants.

when should i change the pot size and how should i go about doing that transplant all the soil or just some of it that is going to be on the roots? ok so i guess i had a bit more i needed to know lol.

distilled water from the top would flush the salts out. make sure you get ~20-25 % runoff per pots volume.

ph can be checked with strips, drops (8$) or a meter (~50+$)

If your vegging you might wan to run the lights at night...

SnowBender; If your vegging you might wan to run the lights at night...[/QUOTE said:
(when do i start to veg? ; im not even sure if they are male/female yet)
The lights are on as of now 18 hours off 6 hours its been that way about since i started them they turn on at 8am and off at 2pm ....also as a side note i noticed a tiny other plant growing in two of my pots ? what could this be there were no other seeds in there

anything with less than 12 hours dark is vegging, for most 'normal' strains.

when they've vegged to a big enough size for you, then you put it in 12 hours darkness to start budding, and after a few weeks they will flower. then remove the males. some strains stretch more than others when switched to flowering. the ones in the window will be hard to keep on a 12 hour darkness regime depending on the surroundings ambient lighting.

What is vegetative growth?

from the ever important read,

Everything you need to know.

the sprouts are most likely 'volunteers' from the soil mix you got, it probably wasn't sterilized fully.

I noticed in your picture you don't have a reflector on your light. This will make a huge difference. You should look at getting a new lamp cover with a reflector.

i have mirrors around all 4 sides of the plants.

and when should i start to change the light patter like how tall should the plant be? i cant tell if they are male or female though.

No mirrors, they eat light and cause plant burns in some cases.

so what should i use then aluminum foil? i heard that burns the plants as well i would think anything reflective and smooth would reflect light just fine what about if i painted the mirrors a flat white and put them back around the plants this is how i have it set up as of now....

Back
Top Bottom