Need Wiring Advice Please

SeaBow

I bought a vanity light to install cfl's in the grow room and i'm trying to wire it to an extension cord.

I cut the outlet end off and exposed the 3 wires only to find green ground and no color coding on the 2 main wires.

The light has green screw (ground) brass bare wire, black, and white.

I remember that plugs are center prong ground, small prong is hot and large is neutral. This plug has the two prongs the same size.

What should I do?

I really don't think it matters when wiring up lights. As long as you got the ground right, that's all that matters. I've always bought cord from the Depot or recycled it from an old appliance and it has been color coded. Good luck.

I bought a vanity light to install cfl's in the grow room and i'm trying to wire it to an extension cord.

I cut the outlet end off and exposed the 3 wires only to find green ground and no color coding on the 2 main wires.

I remember that plugs are center prong ground, small prong is hot and large is neutral. This plug has the two prongs the same size.

What should I do?

hook the green wire from the ex. cord to the green screw on the light,,,the other 2 wires can be hooked either way...i was doing it the same as you when i first started...:goodluck:

That cord has a ridge on the wire that is your neutral/white wire, this goes to the silver screw. Look for the ridge on the sheathing/insulation, its there. Smooth wire will be your hot/black, which goes to the brass screw.

That fixture your using, I have 2 of them but mine are the 8 bulb ones. You should get yourself a metal conduit box like this 4 in., 1-1/2 in. Deep Octagon Box-8125 at The Home Depot Mount it to the back of the fixture where the wires are. The box has a knockout on the back for a connector, mount this stain relief in the knockout hole 1/2 in. Strain Relief Cord Connectors (2-Pack)-21692 at The Home Depot , run your cord through this and into the box. This will keep your wires from rubbing on the metal,,,,,,keep ya from getting one of those stupid nicknames,,,,,,,,like sparky.

What should I do?

buy a book such as (basic electricity ) and read it. more people die from 115-120 volts electrocution simply due to the fact the people believe lower voltages as not dangerous.

if you take the plug,hold it in the manner as to plug it in ,the prong that fits slot to the right of the ground prong is your (hot) prong,usually a black wire.since both your wires are same color use elec.multi-meter and check for continuity to identify with of the wires is the hot wire.touch one wire with one ead touch other lead to hot prong most meters will beep,when u touch hot prong and correct wire.

Wide plug prong is negative , small plug prong is positive , the other is the ground and is always round ( here in the US ) and that can or can not be used in a 3 prong outlet . I sometimes just break off the ground plug when I don't have a 3 hole power outlet .
Simply follow the wires back from the plug to know which is which .

The plug end you use should be polarized. The easiest way to do this is connect the wire that goes to the brass screw on the male plug end to the black wire or brass screw on the socket. The wire connected to the silver screw on the male plug end should connect to the white wire or silver screw at the socket. The green screw is utilized for your bond to ground and should be tied to all bonding screws.
The light will still work if you do not pay attention to polarization however, it will make the unit more prone to giving shocks. You see, when the light is energized and the polarity is correct, the center pin in medium base socket will be hot, leaving the outer ring neutral. So when you screw in and out a bulb the part you can come in contact with will not be live. If polarity is not correct, the outer ring is live and when changing bulbs you could be shocked. Installing a box on the back as Puff has mentioned is good practice and in the event of a short circuit, will contain a spark and keep fingers out.

Back
Top Bottom