New grower, new lights

chong420

hello all..just got these fluoro's for flowering..dunno if they're good or not, or maybe someone has tried em..here's what they are..they're GE Ecolux, plant and aquarium F40. i got two of em and they're 40 watts each, with light output of 1900 lumens a piece. It says on the packaging "this wide spectrum fluorescent lamp is an excellent lamp for plant growth. It differs from other growth lamps because of its relatively high emission of far-red radiation which promotes growth and flowering for many types of plants, including succulents, (e.g. cactus), coleus, gernaniums andmany green plants. i know HPS is the way to go, but i'm on a limited budget. you guys think this will work? i'm already tring to veg 'em with two 40 watt, 48" fluoros now in a closet..trying to grow three or four plants..what do you guys think?

Re: new grower, new lights..

Those bulbs sound good, but IMHO, @ 1900 lumens a peice, you don't have enough of them. Find the square footage of your grow area and multiply it by 1500 to get the number of lumens you'll need for the veg stage. Multiply you sq. ft. by 2500-3000 to get the lumens you'll need for flowering. You have 2 options. get some compact fluorescent bulbs, or get another 4ft fixture and 1 cool white and 1 warm white bulb and mixt it w/what you've got now. The later would prabably be your cheapest course. How much where those plant and aquarium bulbs anyway, I might just get some of those. I've already got all the 4 ft fixtures I need.
Vin

5 dollars per 4 foot tube at Canadian Tire in Canada, so probably about the same in the states.

eldamari. endo. me. all have fairly successful flouro grows so far. check out the grow journals. alot of the info u would need or maybe some questions will get answered u have but havent asked.

hey vinter, sorry for the delayed response..yeah, i picked 'em up for like 6 bucks a piece (including tax)..and so far i've spent like 40 bucks on my set up..nothing phoenemenal..but she's out of the dirt and already reaching for the fluoro!!

Back
Top Bottom