New idea to save on electricity bill

BINGO! Mexican restaurants also have alot of WVO to be had. These restaurants are usually quite happy for biodiesel makers to come get the oil so they can avoid the waste disposal fees.
I can see it now, grow rooms running off biodiesel and not needings any odor control because the place would smell like enchiladas and fried rice! :grinjoint:

I know they smell if you run the engine off of WVO,, do they still smell if you convert to bio-diesel first?

Actually, I was thinking that would be a great business,, offer a collection service to the restaurants for free, and process it to fuel, and sell the biodiesel at the pumps..

Good luck finding grease at restaurants around here, the biodiesel-heads and biodiesel resellers have them all sourced already.

We could just grow hemp for biofuel to grow weed. :}

I know they smell if you run the engine off of WVO,, do they still smell if you convert to bio-diesel first?

Actually, I was thinking that would be a great business,, offer a collection service to the restaurants for free, and process it to fuel, and sell the biodiesel at the pumps..

Yes it would be an outstanding business venture! My neighbor and I looked into it a couple years back when the price of crude went into the Stratosphere. For a home set up we were looking at about $25k start up.
Willie Nelson has his own BioWille fuel he's selling at a couple truck stops here in Texas and around the country
BioWillie Fuel - Willie Nelson Biodiesel Company | GreenCar.com

yup.. I have seen that.. (also.. my tv is on planet green 80% of the time..lol) you know, anything that helps us stop sending millions of dollars to people that want to kill us.. well that is a good thing.. :)

yup.. I have seen that.. (also.. my tv is on planet green 80% of the time..lol) you know, anything that helps us stop sending millions of dollars to people that want to kill us.. well that is a good thing.. :)

Living With Ed is my fave! A couple years back he had a show about using the gray water from his house to irrigate his yard.
I emailed him thru the show asking how I could do a similar set up but use a manual control to divert clean water pasing thru my sewer line and into a holding tank for irrigation. I basically wanted to catch all of the water that we use at start up for showers while waiting for the hot water to come thru the pipes.
The man was extremly friendly and helpful getting me in touch with people that were in the gray water field. Super cool guy, very helpful. Only bad thing is I'm on his email list so now every time he finds a new eco friendly thing I get the press releases sent to my inbox

yeah, I love that show,, watching them bicker is like a window into my world..lol,, I drive my wife crazy with all the eco-babble I spew out at home..

start up for showers while waiting for the hot water to come thru the pipes

they make a nice kit that basicall attaches to the sink in your bathroom, it connects the hotwater pipe into the cold water,, so when you want to take a shower, it forces the hot wates back down the cold water pipe, until it senses hot water, then stops...

so when you turn on your shower, it has the hot water right there... I have seen it many times on 'this old house' and renovation nation, and such,, forget what it is called though...

One does not have to convert the Veg. oil to Bio-Diesel if you start the motor on Regular Diesel get it up to temp then switch the fuel source to straight VO it will run just fine, switching back to Straight Reg. Diesel before shutting it off will re-fuel the lines with Reg. Diesel to re-enable easy cold starting next time.
But one may not have the time or etc. to run in this manner.

This method requires a heater in the VO tank. Another set of Fuel and return lines and etc.

I have seen peeps get 5,000 miles out their original tank of Diesel.

I can see it now, grow rooms running off biodiesel and not needings any odor control because the place would smell like enchiladas and fried rice! :grinjoint:

Hey, my car smells like that. Oh, wait - you mean the exhaust? :)

Good luck finding grease at restaurants around here, the biodiesel-heads and biodiesel resellers have them all sourced already.

Beat me to it. They're starting to realize that on a good day, some people will end up paying them SOMETHING, even if it's only a token.

they make a nice kit that basicall attaches to the sink in your bathroom, it connects the hotwater pipe into the cold water,, so when you want to take a shower, it forces the hot wates back down the cold water pipe, until it senses hot water, then stops...

so when you turn on your shower, it has the hot water right there... I have seen it many times on 'this old house' and renovation nation, and such,, forget what it is called though...

Forces the water down the cold-water pipe? To a collection/bladder tank, you mean? Can't spin the water-meter backwards. Well, maybe you can, IDK, but in many (most?) areas, "contaminating" the public supply with your water is prohibited and they require a backflow-preventer for this reason.

I've seen setups where (at least if the water-heater is in the basement) you could remove the heat-trap from the hot side of the tank, run another line up to the (upstairs) shower and T it in just before the spigot so that the natural action of heat circulation would have the water at the shower (etc.) be pretty much hot when you turn the faucet. But since you're keeping the water in the lines heated at that point, it's not exactly a "conservation" thing as it's going to bump your gas bill slightly. More for convienence, I guess.

Hey, my car smells like that. Oh, wait - you mean the exhaust? :)[/quote hehe :rofl:

Forces the water down the cold-water pipe? To a collection/bladder tank, you mean? Can't spin the water-meter backwards. Well, maybe you can, IDK, but in many (most?) areas, "contaminating" the public supply with your water is prohibited and they require a backflow-preventer for this reason.

it forces the water back down the cold water pipe, at the sink,,, and it will end up going into the cold water supply of the hot-water tank,, so it just circulates the water around until it is hot at the tap. the backflow preventer will prevent the from going back into the water supply,,,, not a continous thing, (otherwise, like you said, it would not be a conservation thing...) this is so you don't throw all the water down the drain, while waiting for hot water to get to the tap...

Back
Top Bottom