New Setup - LED Choice

Mithan

Hi guys,

I'm planning a new setup. It'll be a 4x4 ebb and flow system.
I decided to go with LED to cut down on my utilities bill, and have done some research.

I'm down to choosing between the mars II and the reflector panel from topled.

Mars II 900w
or
Reflector led grow light

Knowing that I will be using the same light for veg and flower.
I've read more positive reviews about the Mars II, but the reflector just doesnt have many reviews at all.

Any advises between these 2? or other suggestions in the same price range?

Thanks!

Hi Mithan

I have purchased a LG-G11B192LED from ledsolutions and I am not very happy with it, I doesn't grow pot in veg mode very fast, 2inches in 2 weeks, I have tried all heights from 1.5 feet to 3 feet. I also have purchaced 3 - 300 w LED ( LG-G03A 100LED ) from them that grow like crazy, 2 inches in 2 days, I think They may have set me a defective spectrum of LEDs.
mdelio

All TopLED's use the exact same spectra. Your growth issue could be many things but the spectra is not one of them. The most likely cause would have been a lack of root development or nute/ph problems. Every grow is different, so it's hard to give exact info. Likewise, the lower wattage will cause plants to stretch to get closer to the light.

If you are going to grow a natural or taller plant the 5 watt Mars is the better option. If you are growing with a screen or LST to keep the plants shorter, then the reflector series would be better.

Thanks for the information:

I did have some nute problems before I replanted them into the hydro cups. I will give the light another chance later in the blooming stage. I have put the 3 -300w I purchased from you in the tent and plants are growing great.* should be same spectrum correct?)
I have a question - Is there any growing facts on this reflector light the 192x3 as to what is the best growing distance to the plant tops. I did receive the info card that you sent but LEDs are so new maybe someone using this light my have found the actual plant growing sweet spot.
mdelio

Let's clear one thing up so there is no confusion. I do not work for any lighting company or manufacturer. I've simply been testing and growing with LEDs for years. TopLED is not the end all be all of LED grow panels on the market. But they are one of the best producing and if not THE one of the cheapest panel producers out there.

In veg, I would keep them about 18-24" from the top. During flower, about 12-18". I just posted about this in another thread, but you want to make sure you have a good blending of the light over your growing area. That is the most important factor.

If you are going to grow a natural or taller plant the 5 watt Mars is the better option. If you are growing with a screen or LST to keep the plants shorter, then the reflector series would be better.

HI. When you said natural did u mean with no nutes or just let them grow as they please?

And because i deeply appreciate your input on things maybe you won't mind another question: the reflector series seems to be better for veg. I saw in a journal, can't remember now, they guy used a kill-a-watt and it showed that the 3 panel one uses in veg close to 200w and in bloom about 80+. Now that might be also because of the blue spectrum wavelength and also cause of the fans that only work in veg, but they also have, if i counted right, 2 more blue leds than red. (13 blue and 11 red precisely)

Now considering the fact that they allow you to customise it, do u think that maybe 8-9 or 10 blue and 16-15 or 14 red, respectively, would be better overall, if not only for bloom? Or is it just that reflector uses 3w diode, and mars uses 5w ones, was the cause of your advice to Mdelio?

I'm looking forward to your reply.

Allow me to fill in a lil here?

When growing with 3W diodes you will notice that the bottom won't be that penetrated, thats where 5W diodes are good because they have a higher penetration, but if you do scrog, lst etc. 3W diodes will do just fine.

This is from the 96x3W reflector model
Growth/Veg
IMG_23183.JPG

Flower/Bloom
IMG_23197.JPG

The panel is all the same on all models of the topled reflectors.

I'll let Hose share info about spectrums and so on :)

As some may know I have access to schematics from TopLED. They was nice enough to give me the information for a test I was running and out of respect I won't give their exact spectra ratios out (They haven't released mine and I won't release theirs). However, the lower blue numbers that you stated are pretty close to the numbers they use per 48 diode cluster.

Jummejum's response to the screen of green/ LST for 3 watt diodes is correct. 5 watt diodes (or the use of lenses on 3 watt diodes... although not preferred by me) when letting the plant grow naturally with no training or screen or modification of height restriction.

And when using reflector series on just veg setting, causes shorter internodes on plants. IE, plants stay short and bushy. If you want height put on full power.

I just picked up a Platinum P300. I will be doing a grow journal (which is why I joined 420, as opposed to the other sites I normally post on). I am not too keen on the topLED's, but they obviously grow quite well, as we can all see.

The higher the watt of the LED, doesn't mean it's superior. It helps with penetration, but you also must consider energy costs, heat and so forth.

I will be running a SCROG, so 3W LED's are more than fine. I also manicure my plants. If I wanted to grow bushes, I would do it outside.

Personally, the beauty of LED for me is the fact it's efficient, and perfect for growing indoors, where grooming your plants and doing a SCROG produce better yields.

Here is my last grow using a generic 400W HID system -
Cp-wDvHl9hlZ.jpg

- I would stick with HID for growing bushes, and go with LED for growing SCROG, SOG and so forth.

Thx guys! From what i've counted in that picture it seemed like blue leds were more than red.
But it's good that it isn't cause i'd rather supplement the veg with 2 6500k cfl, instead of the bloom. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom