Newbie 1st time at hydro,quick ppm question

gunjababy

Whats up I have a quick question on PPM's, i tested my nutrient solution and the PPM's read 300, according to my nute chart(FoxFarm) it says that my ppm have to be at 700-840, i just took a reading and it says 300. How do i raise my PPM's. The lady at the store told me to add more nutes,but if i do then i'll be going over the recommended amount.

I have 2 plants 1 blueberry and the other is shunk #1. they are 6 days old i think. ( I say i think because when do you really start their life cycle)
here's the rundown:

11/24 germed seeds
11/26 seeds crack showing 1/4 inch taproot, place in rockwool in dome under lights wit heating mat.
11/27 seeds broke ground
12/1 DWC arrived and place in since

12/3 just added FF grow big and a lil super thrive.

Any way how old are my babies ? And also the PPM question ?

THANKS

first off you should measure the ppm's of your plain water than subtract that from your total. Not sure what yours reads but mine was 150ppm just plain. If you want it at a certain ppm than you need to add more nutes to raise it. good luck

first off you should measure the ppm's of your plain water than subtract that from your total. Not sure what yours reads but mine was 150ppm just plain. If you want it at a certain ppm than you need to add more nutes to raise it. good luck

i did it says 0 in plain water, when i add nutes as recommended it says 300.

I want to know how do you raise the PPM if need be ?

If you want to up your ppm you'll have to add more nutrients or add some calmag but it would not be need at the stage your in.

are your plants showing any deficiencies if not i would not stress to much about getting the correct ppm the bottle says espcilly if it tells you aim for a range in your case its between 700 to 840.

I would bring my ppm up slowly and adjust it to my needs.

If you want to up your ppm you'll have to add more nutrients or add some calmag but it would not be need at the stage your in.

are your plants showing any deficiencies if not i would not stress to much about getting the correct ppm the bottle says espcilly if it tells you aim for a range in your case its between 700 to 840.

sweet thanks, I was just wondering on how to bring it up if need be. Thanks again

for one i would not subtract the # of ppm in u'r plain water. If using RO water u shouldn't have too worry about the ppm already in the water cuz it will be very low like 25 or so. If u are using tap water. Lets say u have bad tap water and the ppm in the plain water came out at 450 and u wanted the ppm with nutes up to 900. U could only add 550 ppm of nutes to get the 900. If u were to pretend that the 450 in the tap water wasn't there and u add 900 ppms in nutes the number of the ppm in the water would come out at 1350 ppm.

so to sum all that up the less u have in the ppm of u'r plain water the more nutes u can put into the water for the plants and still keep the ppm's in the range u want for thier age.

i was told a good average range to ppm in a dwc is

u start the plant off at around 500 ppm and each week u up the ppm till at the end of veg u have around 850-1000 ppm. For flower u start the ppm's off at around 1100 and up it every week by 150-200 till you get to around 1800-2000 ppm.

for one i would not subtract the # of ppm in u'r plain water. If using RO water u shouldn't have too worry about the ppm already in the water cuz it will be very low like 25 or so. If u are using tap water. Lets say u have bad tap water and the ppm in the plain water came out at 450 and u wanted the ppm with nutes up to 900. U could only add 550 ppm of nutes to get the 900. If u were to pretend that the 450 in the tap water wasn't there and u add 900 ppms in nutes the number of the ppm in the water would come out at 1350 ppm.

so to sum all that up the less u have in the ppm of u'r plain water the more nutes u can put into the water for the plants and still keep the ppm's in the range u want for thier age.

u start the plant off at around 500 ppm and each week u up the ppm till at the end of veg u have around 850-1000 ppm. For flower u start the ppm's off at around 1100 and up it every week by 150-200 till you get to around 1800-2000 ppm.

Zierf, thanks for that info, i guess i got confused because i did not want to over feed my babies. I wanted to try to stick to the nute schedule( FF ). I'm also doing a DWC grow. my babies are 7 days old, so you basically saying to add more nutes to get the PPm's up ? Thanks

In my humble opinion, and the opinion of a newbie myself, I will say that I dont think you want that much nutes in babies.

Read the label of the nute, they will might tell you what the ppm increase will be with the dosage they recommend, (Botanicare does), it makes it easy.

Im using RO water, and its 0 PPM to start with.

You also want to check your PH, my RO is over 7.

So if I want my nutes in my rez to be 900ppm and my water already has 200 ppm why would you not subtract that to get you exact measurement. So your total measurement would be 1100 ppm. You say to sum it all up the less the ppms in your plain water the more nutes you can add. If you know whats in your plain water to make it raise like that and it is not harmful it has no effect on the amount of nutes you put in. I think you got this one wrong bud.

So if I want my nutes in my rez to be 900ppm and my water already has 200 ppm why would you not subtract that to get you exact measurement. So your total measurement would be 1100 ppm. You say to sum it all up the less the ppms in your plain water the more nutes you can add. If you know whats in your plain water to make it raise like that and it is not harmful it has no effect on the amount of nutes you put in. I think you got this one wrong bud.

ok i know what you are saying. and with u're water ( plain ) is at 200 ppm then you might not have any prob's with it

me on the other hand my tap water is bad and has a ppm count of about 450. My first dwc i had i put the 3week old clone in it and some nutes and the pland grew for 3 days and stopped all growth for over a week so i asked around and found out with the ppm of the plain tap water and the nutes added the ppm was way to high and it cloged up the roots and they wouldn't up take anymore so i had to flush to clean out the roots.

found out that the nutes had 500ppm with what i added and the water was at 450 so it was at 950 way to much for how small the plant was

so i could use the water at the time and only add 50ppm of nutes (which is not that much)or use RO water and put in 500ppm of nutes which is better? gee let me think.

why would u take the chance of a nute lock out cuz the ppm is to high or frying the leaves up.

the lower the water ppm the more nutes u can add to get the ppm # that u want

what ever is in the plain water the plants will take up so why would u subtract the ppms of the plain water. Just becuz u subtact the # doesn't mean that chems. Aren't still in the plain tap water

why u think people use RO water cuz it cleaner and u can use more nutes with it cuz the ppm in tap water do count if adding nutes

Zierf I must agree.. you are correct on my count!
ok i know what you are saying. and with u're water ( plain ) is at 200 ppm then you might not have any prob's with it

me on the other hand my tap water is bad and has a ppm count of about 450. My first dwc i had i put the 3week old clone in it and some nutes and the pland grew for 3 days and stopped all growth for over a week so i asked around and found out with the ppm of the plain tap water and the nutes added the ppm was way to high and it cloged up the roots and they wouldn't up take anymore so i had to flush to clean out the roots.

found out that the nutes had 500ppm with what i added and the water was at 450 so it was at 950 way to much for how small the plant was

so i could use the water at the time and only add 50ppm of nutes (which is not that much)or use RO water and put in 500ppm of nutes which is better? gee let me think.

why would u take the chance of a nute lock out cuz the ppm is to high or frying the leaves up.

what ever is in the plain water the plants will take up so why would u subtract the ppms of the plain water. Just becuz u subtact the # doesn't mean that chems. Aren't still in the plain tap water

why u think people use RO water cuz it cleaner and u can use more nutes with it cuz the ppm in tap water do count if adding nutes
zierf is online now Add to zierf's Reputation Report Post
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!FacebookMySpaceTwitter

You might want to research it a bit more. First off you should not use plain water if it exceeds 200+ ppm. Do you know what is in your water is what you should ask. I asked about the subtracting the ppm of plain water awhile ago and pitviper agreed along with others thats how you should go about that. So if I have 200 ppm of water and want to get to 400ppm then just add 200ppm of nutes. that makes no sense. Nutes are a little different then plain filtered tap water. Hopefully someone with more experience will comment on this topic.

Well I just called my local hydro store and they said the same thing, subtract the original ppm of your plain water with your solutions ppm to get your exact measurement. Sorry bro your wrong! Trust me I would rather use RO water all day long than my Pur filtered water but its right within the working range. In the near future I would like to buy a system like that but in the meantime it is working.

So that's why the "Cal Mag" is so good & everyone swears by it??!!! (Learn something new erday.

Back
Top Bottom